It's Time to Put Down the Phones | Teen Ink

It's Time to Put Down the Phones

By Margebahr SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Margebahr SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people are walking in front of me and they are on their phone. Those people are always in everybody’s way and not to mention, slowing down the flow of traffic. Most times they walk right into others without even realizing it. I think it’s time to stop using our phones, not only when we are walking, but during simple everyday things. Since I am one of these people who use it during specific activities, my relationship with phone phones all together and the people around me have gotten worse.

Some activities we should stop using phones during would include, driving, showering, walking, and eating. Driving is a major one that people should never use their phones during. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, nine people are killed each day from a distracted driver and over one-thousand more are injured. So, what I don’t understand is why someone would take that risk knowing the possible outcomes. If someone were to get caught while using the phone while behind the wheel, they could endure some serious fines. Add hurting someone and they could lose their driving privileges all together. Another activity that a phone should not be used during is showering. On average, the shower length will become at least twice as long if a phone is present. Therefore, the water bill will become ridiculously expensive. Also, a phone can undergo a lot of water damage and we all know that once there’s a sign of that, it loses all value. Even if the phone gets put into rice the likelihood of it getting all of the water out is substantially low.

Walking is another activity that someone should not use their phone during.  When this is done, people tend to get in everybody‘s way. Walking and using a cell phone could land a person in the emergency room. It could be something as simple as tripping on the sidewalk which results in a broken nose. Or, accidently walking right into the middle of traffic because they thought the walk signal was on. I personally think that the worst time to use a phone  is eating. When people use their phone instead of communicating to the people around them, it goes to show that these days, our level of face-to-face communication is almost to the point of non-existing. I think that our generation needs to learn how to put down the phones. A perfect dinner date can be wrecked because of the need to text that one friend back. With all these activities it can create major problems with our relationship with our phones.

According to Popular Science, “Everything You Need to Cure Your Smartphone Addiction,” the more times a person checks their phone throughout the day the more likely they are addicted to it. The smartphone is the new drug and it is important to try to maintain it by not checking our phones. A lot of people who are addicted to their phones take the luxury for granted and once they realize it, it becomes easier to stop using it during the everyday things. If someone were to use their phone during all of these activities in a day, they will most likely become very addicted in a short amount of time. The best way to cure the addiction is to put the phone down and talk to people nearby.

The amount that a person uses their phone will impact relationships with the people around them.  According to a study done in February 2016, done at the University of Washington, If I were to use my phone at the dinner table I would be cutting off communication with the people around me. That is a serious issue because face-to-face communication is more important for our mental health. Talking in person can help our brains stay healthy and happy. According to New York Times, a post called “U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-year High”, the overall suicide rate has increased 24 percent from 1999 to 2014. But when somebody really thinks about it that is around the time when smartphones started to reprogram the brain. Also, social media has gotten very popular. People need to put down the phones and start interacting with the people around them.

With all of the activities that people use their phones during, it changes their relationship with their phone and relationship with the people around them. It is important to learn how to but down the phone once in awhile and talk to the people.. Don’t be one of those people who are constantly looking at their phones while walking. People can get into everyone's way and it can be a significant pet peeve for some. It’s time to set the screens down and see what else life has to offer.