Restraints | Teen Ink

Restraints

May 17, 2018
By HonchoDj BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
HonchoDj BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It’s crazy how society believes the people are evolving too fast, but in reality nothing changed. On the news, we see stories about police officers abusing/killing the black community and protest movements being interrupted by armed forces. But how is the government allowing all of this to happen? I thought the first amendment stated “The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition.  It forbids Congress from both promoting one religion over others and also restricting an individual’s religious practices.  It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely.  It also guarantees the right of citizens to assemble peaceably and to petition their government” (Cornell Law School). It’s crazy to see our own rights can’t even be protected…


Certain actions have been taken in order for society to see what actually happening in life. For an example, NFL players have been kneeling or staying in the locker room during the national anthem. It all started with Colin Kaepernick taking a knee before a preseason game, saying “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people, and people of color” and he’s right. Why stand for a country, when the country can’t even stand up for you? In this case, black males and females. How would you react if you saw your own race being beaten brutally by the hands of the people we expect to protect us? The way Colin approached the problem was brilliant, the way he ‘disrespected” the U.S on national television to show everyone he finally had enough. Then comes the media, headlines and articles filled with bad publicity towards the NFL and the player who won't stand for the national anthem. But I believe, the media shouldn’t be in position to assume or state any of that. The player are fighting for what they believe, and who’s to stop them? They’re citizens of the U.S, which means they have freedom of speech, petition, and assembly peacefully.


Protesting has been a big deal in today’s news. Protesting for: gender equality, “black lives matter”, gay rights movements, religion, and etc… The right to “assemble” is given to the citizens as long as it’s peaceful, but why is that the government always has to interfere? After the death of Trayvon Martin, people started to protest for black rights, and against police  brutality. And since then, the tension has gotten worse. Videos of police officer ganging up on black males and females, acting like they have the right to choose who gets to live or not. Seeing how the black community came together and fight for rights that should’ve been protecting them from the start.  It’s disgraceful seeing how our own amendments given by the people who rule over us can’t be trusted. We were taught at a young age that we have freedom of speech, petition, and assemble. Why teach that to kids if it’s not true? Maybe cause I wasn’t born here, maybe that why I can’t ever agree with the “right side”, but I understand how some U.S citizens are disappointed by the actions the “rebels (kneeling NFL players, protesters, etcs). Veterans who serve to protect our country should be given the respect they deserve, but the players aren't rebelling against them, It’s because of racial injustice, “Wrong. Kneeling during the national anthem has everything to do with race. Just like your presidency. Those players are protesting racial injustice. They’re not protesting the American flag” (Stephen Colbert). They’re not, but the fact that Donald Trump (a d*****bag and a white supremacist) told the people it was towards the soldier serving our country... In what sense does that make? Our own president clearly showing bias towards a certain race isn’t what the U.S needs. How can he just watch as countless of lives are being taken away from them for fighting for their rights? You don’t hear in the news that often about protester getting violent or big time sport figures acting  uncivil, because it hardly happens. For us to get past this, it all starts with the president actually enforcing the rights we have, or had as of now. If we can’t expect what supposed to be ours, then why do anything for the country? If they can’t see the flaws by now, then what are waiting for?