Diet vs Healthcare | Teen Ink

Diet vs Healthcare

I’m going to be writing my entry on something that’s been on my mind for a while. While watching documentaries on sugar/fatty foods and their strong correlation to decreased health in the future, a connection sparked in my head with how this relates to healthcare. Everyone is talking about healthcare, and how it is something that’s getting more and more difficult to use, obtain, and be cost effective. While the gov’t is trying to create a more effective system, the public says it’s still expensive and won't cover the conditions they have. The problem I see here is the correlation to eating less healthy and the costs you’ll have to pay down the road. There is no doubt eating unhealthily will contribute to diseases like heart disease, clogged arteries, high blood pressure, stroke, high cholesterol levels, diabetes, and other diseases that can be denoted as “western”.  A documentary and article I’ve seen says there is a strong suggestion all these diseases will increase in the future, and not get better.  Another very sickening truth is that most of diseases covered by health care, approximately ¾ of them overall, are preventable. This is a very daunting fact to hear, and made me question if my diet is considered “American”. Here is the point that crossed my mind that i’m getting to right now. Why would the people of America, hopefully knowing what will happen in the future if they continue eating the American diet, cry to the gov’t to support their unhealthy lives? I’m not trying to be disrespectful to anyone, just that you can’t complain about diet related bills if you knew the type of food you were eating was unhealthy.  If you have a genetic disease or a disability acquired from life, that is something that deserves healthcare. But the people who make it harder for a proper health care system to be effective makes it harder for those who actually need it. I know that unhealthy eating affects all classes, and that nearly all of us are able to eat healthy. Something that honestly makes me sick is the tax on sweetened beverages in our town. I thought it was a brilliant idea to limit the consumption of these unhealthy drinks, but other people thought differently. They want this tax removed cause they’ll be paying more, and yet they don’t see why it’s important. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Getting rid of this tax will make you pay more down the road, and will make you have a life ending too short and in more pain. Writing this entry reflects my opinion on the American diet, and that we need to be educated more on healthy eating. If this continues, unhealthy eating will be more common, and big corporations will have more power in congress.

Seemed interesting