What We Don’t Know | Teen Ink

What We Don’t Know

By abucher BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
abucher BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

I believe that we have no idea what we mean to other people. Belief in what one does not know may sound strange, but sometimes it is the only thing we can be certain of.  How many people have touched your life without knowing it?

On some level, I have always understood the impact that others have on myself, but it was not until recently that I realized that I could do the same for others. Throughout my high school career I have been really involved in STK, our theatre club. This year I am not only the sound designer, but also the club secretary. Because I had a leadership role in the club, I understood that people might know who I am even if I don’t know them, but this didn’t set in until the night of our second to last performance. As a senior, I had the opportunity to give a short speech about my time in the club to the cast and crew before the show. Afterward a lot of people that I was close with told me how sad they were that I was leaving and wanted to take pictures. This of course made me emotional, but nothing affected me as much as one girl. What she said was not much different than what others had, and like a few other underclassmen, she wanted to take a picture with me before I graduate. The only difference was that I don’t know her name. I know that she’s a freshman, I know that she was on crew, I had even talked to her once or twice in passing, but I have no idea what her name is. I had no idea that I meant anything to her, but apparently I did.

Sometimes we can be so wrapped up in ourselves that we do not take into account other people and the way they see us. We can be incredibly important to people we barely know and will never realize it. I don’t know what sort of impact I may have had on this girl but I hope it was a good one.