Whippings or Words?

I could never understand why punishments were dished out to children in lieu of unacceptable behavior. Are children expected to be happier, friendlier, and more respectful because they aren’t allowed to hang out with their friends or use the computer? After all, if one improves their behavior after such punishments, lectures, or threats of punishment, they are not showing a change of heart. They are simply demonstrating that they want to be able to socialize with friends, or rid themselves of whatever punishment bestowed on them.

I believe that children only learn from gentle teachings and good examples set by their parents or other role models in their lives. Children are much more apt to understand words than to understand why they were spanked. All people have an innate sense of respect, and children will likely listen to their parents. It is only when they feel that they are being treated unfairly that they begin to lose respect for their parents.

Also, children should always be made to understand why their parents are upset with them, and to allow for discussion, because sometimes they don’t understand what they’ve done wrong, or had reason for acting the way they did. It is okay for a parent to admit a fault and apologize for it, a rare occurrence in many households. If children see that their parents, too, make mistakes, but can apologize for them, they are much more likely to follow suit.

Lenah said...
I think that some physical punishment should be allowed, so that they remember that, "oh yeah, when i did that i got hurt." I don't think abuse is necessary to teach a kid though. 

DreamsAreBroken said...
When I was little, my parents would tell me what I did wrong, then they would whip me. I did crave the discipline, I still do, I was and still am a stubborn child, now the punishments have evolved, but yes whippings should be allowed