Depression Cannot Be Overcome Simply with Willpower | Teen Ink

Depression Cannot Be Overcome Simply with Willpower

February 15, 2018
By JacobLindland SILVER, Dulles, Virginia
JacobLindland SILVER, Dulles, Virginia
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Depression, also known as Persistent Depressive Disorder, or PDD, is one of the leading causes of disability in the US (Roberts). It is a major worldwide issue. Depression is a clinical condition that causes people to constantly feel, well, sad. It has caused suicide, self harm, and unhappiness among millions of people ("What Is Depression?"). Depression can not always be overcome with willpower.

 

One common misconception is that depression is something that can be overcome easily. This is not true. People with depression have been told to “just push through” or “suck it up”, but people who have clinical depression can not simply do this. Since depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, there is nothing that anyone can say or do that will change that imbalance. If someone loves chocolate, and they are depressed, simply giving them some chocolate will not make them happy. They need to seek help from a doctor.


Depression is one of the biggest problems in the world right now. It has caused people to kill themselves, which not only obviously ruins their life, it also ruins their families lives. People scar their wrists and scar their families emotional relationships. Severe cases of Persistent Depressive Disorder (PDD) have led to something known as psychomotor retardation. Psychomotor retardation “involves a slowing-down of thought and a reduction of physical movements in an individual” ("Psychomotor Retardation"). Psychomotor retardation is caused when someone is so depressed that hey can literally barely move (Tracy).


There is the argument that will be made against this opinion that depression is also an emotion. This is definitely true. Depression has two meanings. The first meaning is that the person has a clinical problem where they are can not feel happiness for weeks at a time ("Depression | Definition Of Depression In English By Oxford Dictionaries"). The second meaning is an emotion, and is a synonym for sad ("Depression | Definition Of Depression In English By Oxford Dictionaries"). People can feel depressed when the do not have depression. The depression that I am writing about is not a synonym for sad, it is a clinical condition.


Depression is a leading cause of family issues, deaths, and disability in the world. It is a major issue that needs to be addressed, and studied. Depression can not be cured by simply surrounding yourself with things you like, but can be treated with medication and therapy.

 

 


Works Cited:

"Psychomotor Retardation." En.wikipedia. Web. 7 Nov. 2017.

Roberts, Rachel. "Depression Now Biggest Global Cause Of Illness And Disability." The Independent. N.p., 2017. Web. 9 Nov. 2017.

"What Is Depression?." Psychiatry. Web. 9 Nov. 2017.

"Depression | Definition Of Depression In English By Oxford Dictionaries." Oxford Dictionaries | English. Web. 9 Nov. 2017.

Tracy, Natasha. "How Depression Affects Psychomotor Skills - Symptoms - Depression | Healthyplace." HealthyPlace. N.p., 2017. Web. 9 Nov. 2017.