Prison Inmates | Teen Ink

Prison Inmates

January 17, 2018

What happens when you're declared a criminal? You're thought of as unfit and dangerous to be functioning as a part of the society. So they throw you away in a secluded area to serve your time (depending on the severity of your doing)As living and breathing is a human right that you can't deprive a person of. But is that really the case in prisons? Are you not deprived of the willingness to hold on to your life? You inevitably would be, as the conditions in the prison are absolutely devastating. They are kept in unsanitary surroundings and exposed to various life threatening diseases. They're mishandled by guards inside the prisons which affect the prisoners psychologically promoting increased violence in their behaviour putting the lives of their fellow inmates in excessive potential danger. Their resources do get limited for a reason, but some necessary resources get unnecessarily minimised for these prisoners as they're considered as "outcastes" and "unimportant". They feel lonesome because of the lack of supply of entertainment, and poor standard of living and can't help their suicidal thoughts. But we must not be ignorant towards the fact that these prisoners are just like us. They're fed by the same food, hurt by the same mistreatment, and made happy by the same kind of acceptance. It's time we recognise that these inmates serve their time in solitary confinement in the form of penance. This time that they get should be spent by them productively, they should learn new skills and how to build a positive character so that they can come out of the prison to make a marvellous change in our world for the better. In order for that to happen, we should take a stand for the inmates on humanitarian grounds, and try to improve their living conditions by whatever little that we can do. So all of us get to experience the benefits of their latent potential behind their otherwise sorrowful personalities.