Boy Scouts is for Boys This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By , State College, PA

To everyone who has an opinion on Boy Scouts of America's decision on letting girls join the program, I thank you for your insight and respect everyone’s point of view. And while the facts are that BSA intends to start a program that will begin to integrate girls into BSA by having “Girls Only Troops”, it still does not change the core argument that BSA is changing the dynamic of Boy Scouts. This is the first step to the inevitable merger of male and female troops.
While the troops, for now, will not be co-ed. If the girls are under the Boy Scout program they will be camping and competing together with boys. Annual summer camps, and Camporees will have boys and girls camping and competing. As I said in the first posting, boys behave differently when girls are thrown into the mix. It will get to the point where the girls will become a distraction to the boys, this is human nature no matter how much we try to deny it, and make it that much more difficult for leaders. In addition to being teachers and advisors, leaders will have to become night watchmen of teenagers with raging hormones. Again, this is human nature and to deny it is simply lying to one’s self.
While co-ed troops do exist, and are successful in other countries, we only hear of the success and upside of these troops because no one wants to talk about the downside. Venture Crews, here in the United States, are an example of this. We hear of all the wonderful things that Venture Crews accomplish but I have no doubts that there are downside stories that never reach the public because we choose to not speak of them.
I agree with those who have stated that the Boy Scout program would benefit girls in many ways; and that there are girls who want to learn these outdoor skills and the codes of conduct taught by the Boy Scouts. I have no problem with that aspect of this proposal. But would it have served girls better if the Girl Scout Program was updated instead of throwing 107 years of Boy Scout history and tradition out the window? Would it have been better to update the Venturing Program and lowering the age from 14 to say 13 and giving all Venture Scouts the opportunity to earn Eagle? Again, I have no problem with allowing girls to earn a rank that is recognized, on a national level, as showing commitment to work, achievement, ethics, community service and good citizenship.
To clarify; my concern is more along the lines of the continuing erosion of traditional programs for boys just because they do not include girls or other groups within our society. Why is it ok for girls to have a “Girls Only” organization and not ok for boys? Again, with this decision, in 2019 the word “Boy” will no longer apply to Boy Scouts simply because it will no longer be, what it was designed to be, a “Boys Only” organization. BSA has surrendered to social pressure and in the future, will more than likely surrender to other social pressures to change the core program. The question BSA must ask now is; how far are they willing to allow the Boy Scout program to be eroded? Are they willing to take God out of the oath? Or, are they willing to compromise and let those that join, that have no belief in God, not say the oath? This is one issue still facing BSA because of atheists. How long will it be before BSA surrenders to this?
While this scenario seems extreme, think about it in terms of time. These changes will take place over time and have the inevitable effect of rendering Boy Scouts extinct. As I said in the last post, I am saddened at the loss of a valuable program for boys.
There are ways to stop this though, many petitions such as this one (https://www.change.org/p/boy-scouts-of-america-boy-scouts-for-boys) have sprung up from scouts and their families. I wholeheartedly believe that everyone should type the link in and sign to show BSA that a group fo administrators can't change a program for millions of boys.