Carson Complications | Teen Ink

Carson Complications

By areselquiming BRONZE, Carson, California
areselquiming BRONZE, Carson, California

Waking up to construction sounds in the morning has become a bitter predicament when you live in a neighborhood like mine. At first, you’re mad at the fact that you woke up and your beauty rest was cut in half. However, you then come to realize that the reason behind all of this construction work is to improve the city itself. This idea satisfies me personally, because living in a city like Carson for as long as I have, you notice many things that need to be worked on. If you don't exactly know if your community is in need of fixing, you could start by taking a closer look at the things you do every day. If I were to be mayor, I would do everything in my power to change my city for the better.

As mayor, the first complication that I would have worked on is the poor infrastructure. Local family businesses have reluctantly come to terms with the conditions of the way their establishments are built. The vast majority of these citizens are barely supporting their families as it is, and the quality of their establishments are affected by the way they run their businesses. This issue is crucial to solve, because without a solution, businesses won’t flourish and the city’s economy will decline. However, the obvious solution to this is to completely reconstruct every building that needs to be improved. Although it seems time consuming and requires an enormous amount of energy and commitment. However, as mayor, it would be logical to plan how to minimize the amount of time it will take to build every building, raise enough money for the new buildings, and how to manage the time it will take to build the infrastructures effectively. Because I was a citizen before I became the city’s mayor, I would know what my neighbors and family would criticize if they saw the major changes the city were going on. Through the people who have lived here their whole lives, I would take their judgement and critique in the most considerable way possible.

That being said, the next complication that needs to be enhanced is the sewage system. Families of lower income can only afford homes that are near the most rural areas of the city. These areas include neighborhoods that are located right next to a big sewer. Notice how families have lower health standards than those who don’t live near a sewer. This is due to the toxic odor the families are constantly breathing in. The only demographic that’s willing to buy these cheap houses tend to be the poorer, ethnic groups. These groups, for example, are usually African Americans, Latinos, and Filipinos. To make a few sly dollars, the city ignores the possibility of damaging the community’s health. building these affordable houses near odor polluted areas doesn't benefit the community in any way. The proposed solution to this can be to simply not build affordable homes near these type of areas. The money the city used to build the homes near sewers could have been used to build them in another area of the city that has cleaner air and doesn’t affect the families’s health.

The last complication is the lack of working street lights. A lot of rural neighborhoods consist of dark streets that pose a threat to those living in the neighborhoods. It's ironic, because those who live in the neighborhoods should be aware and know right away what occurs within them. However, this isn’t the case. Families are afraid to go out after dark and there’s no sense of security and safety. Instead of constant fear, the community should feel safe and know not to be afraid of their own environment. It occurred to me that in each neighborhood, street lights randomly turn on and then turn off for a period of time. I wouldn’t know the reason for this, because it is only my own observations. However, the solutions to these would not only be logical, but beneficial for the sake of the community’s mental state of security. The first solution is to replace the old city lights with new, brighter, and longer-lasting bulbs. The bulbs for the lights should be replaced with brighter bulbs and give off a white glow instead of a yellow glow. Replacing the bulbs with white light bulbs will result in brighter streets and sidewalks and this in result, will make it easier for pedestrians or neighbors to see at night. This will bring back the sense of security throughout the neighborhood. The second solution is to connect the street lights to a backup generator that would be located underneath the sidewalks. Doing so will eliminate the problem of street lights unexpectedly blowing out at night. If the bulb bursts inside the light, then the generator will power the light as a backup source of power.

To conclude, there are many areas of the city that need improvement in which only one individual has the power of enforcing. If I were mayor of Carson, improvement of overall infrastructure, the sewage system, and working city lights would be some of the many things I would put first. These complications have lead to the effective hurt of family businesses, the decline of the community’s health and well-being, and the stripping away of sense of security within each neighborhood. If I were mayor of Carson, I would prioritize my citizens’ needs first instead of my own. I wouldn’t endanger my people just so I could make more money off of them, already knowing they struggle as it is. Under my power, I believe Carson would gradually be improved to the point where many people would actually want to live in such a city that has improved infrastructures, sewage systems, and safe neighborhoods.