Crooked Shapes | Teen Ink

Crooked Shapes

By Janicee BRONZE, Daly City, California
Janicee BRONZE, Daly City, California

You must have a straight and tiny nose.
You must have an hour-glass figure.
You must have large, creased eyes.
You must have large breasts.
You must have longer legs.
You must less fat.
You must not have so much body hair.
You must be born with a six pack.
You must have a narrow face.
You must be muscular.
                 In order for you to be the epitome of beauty.

Is that the norm nowadays? I do not have the slightest clue when these idealistic perception begin to divulge into our society. Who is it up to, to determine what beauty is? Some people may say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but elsewhere they may say if everyone thinks so, then they must be pretty.

At the tender phase of being a teenager, it isn't easy to overcome those little patronizing voices in your head, constantly nagging at you. I believe that I have every right and reason to believe that my insecurities are very much true even though at times I couldn't explain why I feel this way. I have fallen into the trap of my mind, and once you're trapped it'll take an even stronger version of you to get out.

There has been days where I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror because I thought "I'm ugly anyway, what's the point?" To look presentable? But who am I impressing? A part of me knows that everything I am thinking at that moment is complete rubbish and foolish, but we cannot deny that repetition forms a habit. This fleeting moment is silent on the outside, but have the ability to boggle you on the inside.

The media focuses on one aspect of beauty, hoping to form a certain norm for it. Unfortunately, it has. Our eyes see one type of body shape and beautifully-computered models, and we expect to be like them or even better, diverging us from the acceptance we initially have for ourselves. Posts that promote plain positivity and motivational captions on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and etc. are such a superficial way to genuinely address a problem, making it into such an empty word.

Every little criticism becomes prevalent in anyone's lifetime. But whether (or not) you let your insecurities rage against you, it is extremely significant to know that natural confidence that has been bestowed in your soul can rage for you.

In this article, I want to use my words on a much more personal level. I understand that insecurities is a rather unwelcoming aspect of being a teenager (and an adult). It's natural, and even though I have such a negative aspect towards this subject, I would like my honesty to encourage and comfort my readers (you) also when they're feeling insecure.