Are Electronics Good for Children? | Teen Ink

Are Electronics Good for Children?

By siennadittmer302 BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
siennadittmer302 BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

Children love their ability to use electronics, however how is this technology affecting them? Children are developing the sense of electronics as their toys. The next thing we know, a four year old is going to be asking for an iphone from santa rather than a baby  alive or legos.

Consequently, letting young children use technology negatively impacts their way of development because it teaches them to always rely on the internet, gives them a higher risk of depression and anxiety, and blocks normal child experiences. Children should NOT be allowed to use electronics to the point where it begins to become habit or everyday thing.

Computers, tablets and smartphones can make life more convenient, but physical health, language and social skills may suffer if time using electronics isn't tempered with time in the real world. Electronic use is a wave of destruction crashing among our youth. The American Academy of Pediatrics state infants aged 0-2 years should not have any exposure to technology, 3-5 years should be restricted to one hour per day, and 6-18 years restricted to 2 hours per day. 

Obviously, kids just sit, stand, or lay down whenever they’re using their devices. When kids are on their tablets or laptops all day, they will not get any exercise. Obesity is one result of this, and we should prevent that from happening to them now, especially at that young age. They need to be physically active and healthy as early in their life as possible, and electronics and technology do not necessarily help kids achieve that. Kids should spend more time playing “Tag, you’re it” than Candy Crush.Since kids are vulnerable and easily-influenced, they would depend on their devices for entertainment, education, and communication more than anything else. At that age, they are less aware of the physical world around them, and spend countless hours typing/texting, watching, or listening to whatever is on their device. Many of us say we’re addicted to Netflix, but if kids already are as well, then their addiction only increases when they’re older. Their full attention is on their electronic device, and they’d learn everything from the media—nothing else. Our communities are going to come crashing down like a tsunami wave.

Developmental problems
-Digital Dementia Rapid brain growth and nature
Early brain development is determined by environmental stimuli, or lack thereof. Kids need to experience the outdoors–they need to spend time in “green” spaces or their brains aren’t going to grow the way they should.

-Delayed development
Using technology restricts our movement. Movement and play are essential not only for child development and learning, but for survival. Not moving can lead to delayed development.
-Aggression
Violence is a learned behavior. Children who are exposed to violent content may act out aggressively, physically, and sexually toward their peers.
-Mental health
Connection to technology is actually disconnecting children from self, others, nature, and spirit. The result?Addictions to Facebook, video games, pornography to name a few.

Children’s parents or guardians should be aware of the negative effects of today’s technology, and it is their responsibility to control their kids’ overuse of technology. Letting them have their own electronic device won’t make anything better; it would only increase the parents’ disconnection from their kids. Parents are also the ones who set examples for their kids. They shouldn’t let technology take over their most important job.

Children who overuse technology are experiencing a variety of problems: memory loss, distraction, obesity, anxiety, loneliness, child depression and the inability to concentrate. In conclusion, the use of electronics by children is gerasticaly changing the way they develop and act therefore electronics are inferior for the use of children.

Thank you to everyone who reads this. I think that it is very important that we consider how our youth is learning and developing from/in society.