Protesting During the Anthem: Right or Not? | Teen Ink

Protesting During the Anthem: Right or Not?

By VanessaLira11 BRONZE, Edwards, Colorado
VanessaLira11 BRONZE, Edwards, Colorado

Throughout the past couple of months, there has been a lot of controversy about NFL players protesting during the national anthem. Many people go against it, others think it's great, and others just dont care. Colin Kaepernick was the first to protest. He claimed that he was protesting against police brutality and in September, Donald Trump made a public announcement about what he thought about this. That announcement later triggered more protests in which the players were linking arms to show that they were all working together as one.

A lot of people don't think that it's terrible that the NFL players protest, the just don't think it's appropriate during the national anthem. However, I think that these protests are doing more good than bad. Although Trump thinks that whoever protests during the anthem is being disrespectful and should get fired, I definitely support the fact that these protests are going against an issue that is affecting many in our country and not much people are willing to bring this to our attention. If our president thinks that it's disrespectful to kneel against an issue, shouldn't he think that police brutality and racism is also disrespectful? Is kneeling during the anthem honestly worse than racism and overuse of power? Protesting during the anthem is not being disrespectful, it's showing that, as a nation, we still care about each other and work together. The people that have fought for this country had and have sacrificed their own lives so we have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. They've fought so that we get to chose whether we want to stand or kneel. 

I wrote this piece because I think that people should realize that there is bigger issue going on and that that's what we have to focus on.