What Does Patriotism Mean to Me? | Teen Ink

What Does Patriotism Mean to Me?

Red, white and blue are the colors of the United States flag. They always has been—even back in 1861 when the south separated themselves from the North. Being patriot is not ignoring the past and accepting it for what it was—good or bad. The confederate flag is a great example of trying to forget or change the past. It is known to have many different meanings. The confederate flag was a battle flag. What do you see when you look at the flag? Racism? White supremacy? Hatred? Look at it again. What do you really see? You see red, white, and blue, 13 stars, and a blue cross.

There are a total of 13 stars on the last design. The stars represent the 13 original colonies. The red background stands for the valor award. The Valor Award is comparable to the Metal of Honor. After the Cold War, the flag was used mainly for commemoration of fallen soldiers. On every flag, the white stands for purity. On the confederate flag, the stars and the blue is lined with white.

The cross on the flag is known as the cross of Saint Andrew. Saint Andrew was the first disciple of Jesus. He felt he was not worthy to be crucified the same way Jesus was. The cross looks like it is under the stars. It is on top, letting the stars shine through. The cross is also crossing out the stars saying “Cross Us Out” of the union.

Many people think the confederate flag is racist but it is just a way to show southern heritage and pride. It is still part of our country's past. Being patriot is being able to accepting our past, not trying to hide it, and not getting offended when people bring up our past. If we did not know the history or try to hide it, it will eventually come back and repeat itself. Being patriotic is being able to not being offended when the flag is flown anywhere.