The N Word | Teen Ink

The N Word

June 14, 2017
By Nmachi BRONZE, Lakewood, California
Nmachi BRONZE, Lakewood, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

So...let’s talk about the “N” word. I know, I know. This isn’t a comfortable topic for most people. But why? The other day, I made an interesting discovery while bringing up this topic to my history class. It turns out that when people are asked to share their opinion on the word, they seem to shut up. But the thing is, it isn’t something that should be pushed under the rug. Now that I reflect on that class discussion, I realize that all of those people who were quiet and seemed nervous were the very same people who continue to use the word on a daily basis.
   

Before I go into my thoughts on the word, I would like to inform you on where the word originated from, just in case you aren’t informed. The word “n*****” was used as a name for all American slaves, used by the white slave masters (and pretty much every other white person during that time period). The word was used, and is still used, in a demeaning manner that was/is very disrespectful towards the black community. Now, you may be wondering why so many black people are “allowed” to say it and other races can’t. Here’s the tea folks, no one should ever be using the word at all! It doesn’t matter if someone says “n****” instead of “n*****,” nobody should be using the term whatsoever. Yes, I am well aware that many people in the black community use the word among their friends as a greeting. Even in Hip-Hop/ Rap, many artists use “n****” throughout their songs. This does not make using the word right.
   

My goal is to honestly change people’s perception of the word, and to let them know that it is not a term that should be spoken out of anyone’s mouth in this way. I am not going to stand up and tell every other race besides African-American to not say the word. I am boldly saying that no one, not even black people, should be using this word as a part of their vocabulary. The word is disgusting, and I hope that people will begin to understand this as soon as possible.


The author's comments:

My hope is to cause people to rethink the things they say on a daily basis because those words can be taken the wrong way by others.