Should You Fight for Peace? | Teen Ink

Should You Fight for Peace?

By MeleezaRathnayake BRONZE, Keleniya, Other
MeleezaRathnayake BRONZE, Keleniya, Other

"There is no way to peace; peace is the way." - MAHATMA GANDHI

Peace is a term that most commonly refers to an absence of aggression, violence or hostility.peace such a beautiful word. A word that makes us feel relaxed thinking about those beautiful white doves.When we come to imagine it we see the best of both worlds.A place close to nature and a place where happiness is in the environment.But that world seems to remain a dream now!

We talk about global peace and hold terrorism as the culprit.But think. when we cannot even keep peace with our ownselves , how can we talk about peace at such huge levels? We fight with people , our loved ones for reasons completely unnecessary. It takes less than a second to burst out in anger, doesn't it? There the irony lies.
“I am sorry.” “I love you.” “I forgive you.” In my eyes, peace is not just a word that can describe something or someone. They are the statements said above. Peace is the little things people do every day. There may be many different definitions of peace, but my religon  has always said that God tells us to forgive each other, give to others, and love each other. Does that not explain peace itself? Do those statements above not show peace? I think that if every single person on this planet lived by these three simple rules, and said those three simple statements everyday, the world might be ready to move onto the bigger acts of kindness such as stopping wars or lowering crime rates.

South China Dispute, terrorism turmoil in Iraq and Syria, tension between South Korea and North Korea, etc. are threats to world peace.

Those who have seen or experienced the horrors of World Wars and any other war can tell us well the value of peace. Peace is the first and foremost objective each individual, society, community, race, region, nation, and alliance must strive for. Otherwise the world will again be thrown into the hell of another World War, which will be the last war on the planet as the earth will not be able to survive the colossal nuclear holocaust.
There is famous Latin proverb which says ‘If you want peace, prepare for war.’ However, it is most wrongly interpreted by most of us. The war here referred to is the war between the good and evil thoughts going on inside our hearts all the time. We must come out of our petty, parochial, and limited mentalities and thought structures. We must develop cosmopolitan, universal, all-encompassing outlook to life and its people.
Martin Luther King Jr. gave the world the formula to maintain peace in the world. How relevant and meaningful are his words: “If we are to have peace on earth, our loyalties must become ecumenical rather than sectional. Our loyalties must transcend our race, our tribe, our class, and our nation; and this means we must develop a world perspective.” Each one of us must learn to treat others as we would love to be treated by others.
In place of harbouring any anger or grudge against anyone or any nation, we must develop a caring and understanding attitude to the person or nation we are in conflict with. However, we must always be prepared to face any aggression or hostility. We must never ever violate peace of any individual, community, or country. But when our own peace is threatened, we must fight tooth and nail to defend it.

What we must learn as the first step towards peace is SELF PEACE.

inner peace refers to  a state of mind, body and mostly soul, a peace within ourselves. People that experience inner peace say that the feeling is not dependent on time, people, place, or any external object or situation.When we learn to remain at peace with ourselves we will be at peace with the rest of the world.

Now talking about peace at international levels.. We all know how terrorism threatens the very roots of peace. but that does not sem to be the only culprit. since the time nuclear weapons have arrived thw world has not seen peacve and never will unles we make a conscious effort to stop threatening the world with our nuclear power.
The most important thing to remember when we talk about peace is love.Love and peace are inseparable.We cannot have one without the other.With love achieving peace becomes a cakewalk. Whether it is inner peace or peace anywhere across the globe, love is the basis. love yourself and you shall attian inner peace. love others and you shall be at peace with all.

To achieve peace at the global level, we also give NOBEL PEACE PRIZE.The prize has often met with controversy, as it is occasionally awarded to people who have formerly sponsored war and violence but who have, through exceptional concessions, helped achieve peace.

With the basic ideas of peace in mind and conscious efforts towards achieving it in our daily life ,I hope we achieve our aim of global peace one day.

The Earth is a beautiful planet and the people on the face of the earth are beautiful as well.We cannot wait for someone like Mother Teresa or Mahatma Gandhi to jump-start the spreading of peace. People like you and me can do that in the little words and statements we say every day.  We may already have our future in our minds, but we cannot pursue that future until we can learn to forgive, give, and love everyone. Only when our hearts are open for giving forgiveness and love , Only then are we ready to really bring peace to the world. “I forgive you.” “I love you.” “I am sorry.”