Thoughts on Life | Teen Ink

Thoughts on Life

“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.” 

The thing about changing the world or having impact is we as an individual cannot do it. There are of course some exceptions say you are the president or a scientist who found a cure to cancer. How many people out there really get that though, that chance to make that impact? Out of three hundred million people in the United States only one becomes special and can really have a major effect on how people live.

The sad truth is in your life time, in my life time we will never matter enough to make a major impact. Sure, we can impact the lives of those close to us but only for a temporary amount of time. Once you die, once I die the people we made an impact on will someday die too and our impact will be simply forgotten. We will never matter enough as an individual living the lives we live and make an effect on the world.

The world keeps turning once you are gone. How much do you know about your great grandparents or your great great grandparents? Little to nothing. They did not have a big enough impact to even get memories passed down to their great grandchildren. We are nobody in the world. Seven billion people are out there and a total of maybe one hundred people know who you even are.

Compared to the entire world we are nothing but a speck of dust lost in the crowd, and forgotten about. Really everything a simple individual from a random city is pointless. It may affect the lives of people close to them or around them but never will it affect the entire world.

What matters most though is that you are able to change the lives of the people around you. As long as you are able to do good in your lifetime for at least one person that is all that really matters, because to that person it could mean the world. So no, people can go through their entire lives without making the slightest impact on the world going on around them. What they can do though is have a huge impact on that one special person they hold closest to them and change their world for the better. 

wrote it for school