Chevy vs. Ford | Teen Ink

Chevy vs. Ford

When thinking of your dream truck most of you, I'm guessing, will choose Chevy? Why would you use Chevy? What makes you choose Chevy over Ford? Every truck has to go through specific quality tests to meet the requirements for the truck to be able to be sold to the average consumer. The main points that I will use to prove that Ford is better than Chevy is the truck's performance, safety, fuel economy, and the critic's rating. The 2 main trucks I will be comparing is the Ford Raptor and the Chevy Silverado.

The Chevy Silverado has a 6.2 Liter V8 engine, 355 horsepower, and 383 pound-feet of torque. Torque is the twisting force from the engine that allows a truck to haul heavy loads. When you see the numbers of the Chevy Silverado they seem impressive, but here are the Ford’s performance. The Ford Raptor has a 3.5 Liter V6 engine, 450 horsepower, and 510 pound per feet of torque. As you can see, even though the Chevy Silverado has a 6.2 Liter V8 engine and the Ford Raptor has a 3.5 V6 engine, Ford’s packs in an extra 95  horsepower and 127 more pound per feet of torque.

Safety in your truck should be number one priority if you are buying a truck. If you want the lives of your passengers to be safe, the Ford Raptor is the way to go. It received a five star rating in all of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration tests. The NHTSA’s tests include a frontal offset crash test, side crash test, side barrier test, and a rollover resistance test. The Chevy Silverado does well too, but has a 4 star in the rollover test and barely passed the frontal offset crash test. We could also go on and on about each trucks available safety features, such as automatic crash notifications, full-length side curtain airbags, trailer sway control, stability and traction control and antilock brakes.

In the average month a person has to fill up their truck around 3 and a half times. With the price of gas nowadays, that can get quite expensive. If you want a truck that has better fuel economy, which means less trips to the gas station, choose the Chevy Silverado. The Chevy Silverado gets 18 mpg in the city and 24 on the highway due to its V8 engine. Ford Raptor only gets 15 mpg in the city and 18 on the highway. The difference between the V6 and the V8 engine is the number cylinders (6 cylinders in the V6 and 8 in the V8 engine) and that they are arranged in a “V” shape.

Both trucks have been well received by critics and are highly rated. The Ford Raptor has an 8.9 rating out of ten and the Chevy Silverado has an 8.8 rating out of ten from the US News and World Report. They both got a 4.5 out of 5 form Edmund, overall they have about the same critics ratings, unless you count that extra tenth of a point from US News and World Report for the Ford Raptor. Both companies thought that they were both a great overall truck.

Now it may all rest upon your opinion of each truck, but you now have the info to make your own judgement. The Ford Raptor sacrificed its fuel economy for higher torque and horsepower than the Chevy Silverado. The Ford Raptor had a better rating for safety. The Ford Raptor passed the Frontal Offset Crash Test with 5 stars, but the Chevy Silverado barely passed with a marginal rating. If you want to make a secure choice about which truck to go with we all know that the Ford Raptor is a better overall truck than the Chevy Silverado.

Works Cited
Google. 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor. 2017. Website. 27 March 2017.
—. Chevy Silverado. 2017. Website. 27 March 2017.
Inc., National Appraisal Guides. 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor. 2017. Website. 27 March 2017.
Kennedy, George. Ford vs. Chevy Trucks: Built Ford Tough or Like a Rock? 18 October 2016. Website. 27 March 2017.