Technology Habits | Teen Ink

Technology Habits

By Drewo BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Drewo BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Technology has become a habit of our everyday life. Wherever we go and whatever we do technology is always around us. Social media has become a part of our life and according to Evan Asano from Social Media Today , “teens spend about 9 hours a day on social media.” Along with every social media account there is a password, but people tend to share their passwords with others. I think the passwords we have should be kept to ourselves and not distributed out into the world. Technology also leads to distractions and our social ability goes down. As soon as we share our password or get distracted it has effects on us, who we share that password with, and it gives rights to the person who now has that password in their possession to. This can help reduce hacking and people trying to get back at others if we keep the passwords to ourselves.

Many couples share their passwords with each other to show they have nothing to hide on their social media accounts.“Married couples and people in relationships share their passwords 67% of the time”,according to Eliane Dockterman from Time. That’s over half of couples share their passwords; couples have to trust each other 100% of the time. But when a couple is dating and they break up we have just left the other person to get revenge on us because they have are password. According to Olivia Foster for Mailonline, “about 58% of people will rebound after the first month of breakup, but that other 42% will not get over the breakup, and could maybe try to get back at us and we have left the door open for them to do that if they have our password in their possession.” Many couples that share passwords are more comfortable and trusting of each other. Passwords are for us and for someone we spend a lot of time with. “Once we log on to a account teens and adults will devote about 9-10 hours a day on social media or on some sort of technology”, according to CNN News. Spending all of this time on social media and technology can have some serious affects on our body and our mental health.
Spending too much time on technology and staring a screen for long periods of time can have affects on our mental being and our brain. According to Rutgers University in 2012, “spending too much time on technology can shorten attention spans and reduce deep thinking and creativity abilities.” The attention span of people reduces because people are constantly worried about their phones and checking them all the time. Sometimes it's not a bad idea to use social media to help us out. Rutgers University in 2012 also said, “it is a great tool for building communities where none existed before. Students in a large lecture after class will end up texting each other and that can interact about the course material and other interests.” Some people get addicted to social media can get some serious affects: depression, anxiety, and later lead up to mental health problems. People become less social with others when they become addicted to there phone and won’t socialize with others. This can also lead to feelings of being left out. The main engine behind this is our brain and there's little censers telling us to look at are phones all the time. Everyone thinks we are invincible and nothing bad can happen to us, but people need to realize that one mistake could be closer than we think, so just put down the phone and keep those passwords to ourselves. We can make the world a better place by preventing that wrong move and saving ourselves from a hacker or a person trying to get revenge on us. We don’t have to keep our passwords in a solitary space, sometimes it’s alright to share our passwords with someone we trust a lot.

We spend a lot of our day on social media and we have passwords for everything, but we tend to share are passwords with others. “67% of Internet users in marriages and relationships have shared passwords to one or more of their accounts with their partner”, according to Eliane Dockterman for Time.com. Many of us will take some risks and share our passwords with people we trust the most to prove to them that they a loyal and are trustworthy enough to have a secret that we keep to ourselves. Often times friends will also share passwords, so if they forget it they can contact them and ask for it. Do we really want are friends with our passwords?  Explained by CNN, “47% of adults had their personal information exposed this year”, I hope this would make us think twice about sharing passwords. I have heard of and seen people who have shared a password with someone and that person tries to go on their account to get revenge or just to go on and snoop around and see what they have been up to. Who are the rights given to when we share are passwords with others? Anyone who has that password basically has the right to go on that account.

When we give our password to someone else we may not have given them permission to go on the account, but its there choice if they want to be loyal and trustworthy. According to Sydney Levin from AOL News, “40% of house guests will snoop around.” Studies also show, “1 in 5 adults admit to accessing others’ social media without permission”, according to Stacy Liberatore for DailyMail. These stats aren’t just made up, they have been proven by many different studies and statistics. Many people will just snoop around on the account to see what we have been up to and this could lead to many bad rumors about us. “About 42% of people after a relationship won’t get over it really easy”, according to Olivia Foster for Mailonline. People who have this password can say bad stuff about people and turn you into the bad person because people will think it is you sending that email or text message to them. This isn’t a topic to joke about, so keep all of those passwords to ourselves.  All of these statistics are backed up by studies, so if we keep the passwords to ourselves we can prevent stealing of information, records, and many other personal things that should be kept to ourselves. We can’t be reminded often enough to keep personal things to ourselves.

We need to be careful with everything we do and I have to tell myself that sometimes. If we can put the technology down for just a little bit and not share passwords we can prevent many bad effects for us and who we share that personal information with. With all the new technology it will probably become more of a habit to check our cell phones. With all the bad effects of sharing passwords there are good effects and uses for sharing passwords, but just put down the technology for a little bit. Technology is a helpful tool and can be used in many different ways; it is just a habit of everyday life. We can control what we do, but once we make that decision we can’t go back.