Desserts: Good or Bad | Teen Ink

Desserts: Good or Bad

By crapp BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
crapp BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

There are some people that think that desserts are not nutritious.  There are some articles that give opinions, along with facts, why sugar is bad for people.  There are even some schools that will not allow desserts with in their school lunch programs. There are some people that argue whether desserts are good or bad.

In the first place, one reason there would not be desserts in school lunches is that there are some desserts that are made of too much sugar, which is not nutritious, and lacks sources of important nutrition.  According to the New York Times (THE CASE AGAINST SUGAR, By Gary Taubes, pg 365) “sugar can cause obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure.”  (Center for Investigative Reporting ) said “that sugar levels in schools are too high and schools need to regulate sugar in their meals”

According to an article in the Time Magazine,(Markham Heid,November 5, 2014) there is a “gray area” when it comes to having desserts.  There are many different types.  Dark chocolates, nuts and fruits “generally aren’t a problem.”  However, Dr. Walter Willett, (Chair at the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health) had a strong opinion on other types of desserts that include combinations of sugar, white flour, butter and trans fat.  He stated that these types of desserts are basically “diabetes on a plate.”  Yet another important thing to think about, according to a website ( SugarScience),  “consuming large quantities of added sugar can stress and damage critical organ, including the pancreas and liver”.  This site points out that added sugar can be found in 74% of packaged foods.  It can be identified with as many as 61 different names such as barley malt, dextrose, maltose and rice syrup.  Two groups know for nutrition (World health Organization and the American Heart Association,) recommend no more than 25 grams of sugar should be eaten per day. (Mercola ,2-25-15).
I think that if you are very active during the day and eat nutritionally balanced meals - desserts are ok to eat. If the Cannon Falls School made fresh baked desserts, instead of serving store bought items, this maybe an option for the students to enjoy.

Dr. Nyree Dardarian, Director of the Center for Integrated Nutrition and Performance Coordinator at Drexel University (Brigham HealthHub) says “Desserts aren’t good for you.  (Surprise!) But if you love them and look forward to them all day, go ahead and have some.”  She said that instead of denying yourself something that you enjoy, it is ok to eat desserts but to “focus on portion control.”

I think a small piece of pie or cake would make me more satisfied at the end of lunch otherwise, I might feel like I am being denied.  Most people enjoy eating dessert.  (EZ Meal Plan) states that “Eating dessert has actually been noted as being beneficial to weight loss,” and that “having a small sweet snack” can satisfy cravings.  In addition “a rich dessert can provide your body with nutrients and energy.”

According to Life Hack there are 5 reasons why desserts could be a good thing.  First of all desserts are packed with nutrients.  Desserts are not only made out of sugar, they are also made out of fruits.  Sweets contain rich sources to whole foods that provide vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants to your diet.

Additionally desserts can make feel you happier.  According to The Nest, foods that have a high percentage of carbohydrates help the body and mind produce chemicals that give to overall emotional well-being.  Allowing yourself to enjoying your favorite dessert can alter your mind and body in a positive way.

Coupled with eating desserts can actually improve your weight control.   Studies have shown that adults that indulge in desserts but eat a nutritious diet have a greater chance in losing weight. You can lose weight because if you eat a small amount of dessert, it will satisfy cravings by filling up its own appetite.

By the same token desserts offer a convenient opportunity to incorporate more fruit into your diet.  Like I said: Desserts are not only made out of sugar, they are also made out of fruits.  Fruits are a really healthy source of protein.  I know that because fruits contain nutrients that keep you healthy, strong, and immune to specific diseases.  It is possible to have nutritious desserts when you mix them with fruit.  Examples of nutritious desserts are apple pie and chocolate dipped oranges.

And finally desserts can remedy the negative side effects of dieting.  Desserts really help patients at hospitals when they have no appetite due to sickness.

Above all desserts taste good and can create a feeling of happiness, which can lead to higher student morale to finish the school day strong.  A little dessert might be a way to curb out of control cravings for sweets that may lead to binge eating.  Desserts at Cannon Falls School could be contingent on finishing the main meal.  It could be an incentive to eat healthy nutritious portions of lunch that is served that may not have gotten eaten completely.  Alternatives to sweet sugary desserts are not out of the question.  Some very attractive dessert dishes with natural fruits could be served.

There are some people that argue whether desserts are good or bad.  They usually contain large amounts of sugar.  This is an ingredient of food that can cause health problems if eaten too much.  It is a very satisfying treat. In conclusion, dessert, like anything, if chosen wisely and taken in moderation, can have some positive benefits.