Dangers of Using a Cell Phone While Driving | Teen Ink

Dangers of Using a Cell Phone While Driving

By Trenton_Matthies BRONZE, Cannon Falls , Minnesota
Trenton_Matthies BRONZE, Cannon Falls , Minnesota

There are many phones in this world and It's a great invention for communicating with family and friends.  There are many cars in this world and most people like having a car for transportation.  Put both of these great inventions together and they can cause some big issues and nobody should ever have that problem.  There are many issues in this world and this is one of the biggest issues of caused deaths or injuries.  Texting while driving is illegal in almost all the states, but should be in every state. 

There are many different topics to talk about with texting and driving but I will talking about a few main ones.  I will be stating the high statistics, dangers, and injuries that could be caused by a couple seconds of looking down.  People around the world should have enough knowledge to know that a couple seconds could change their life.  The thing is that people are willing to take that chance and they think what could possibly go wrong.  We are all so addicted to our phones that once we hear or feel that buzzing and ringing in our ears we “have” to pick it up.

Studies have shown that in 2011 at least 23% of auto collisions involved cell phones.  That is 1.3 million crashes in just 2011 cited by “texting and driving statistics”.  The minimal amount of time taken by somebody that takes their eyes of the road is 5 seconds.  That 5 seconds could change somebody's whole life, I believe anybody that is driving should always keep their eyes on the road.  When somebody is texting and driving it increases your risk of death by 23X.  Teen drivers have been the most to admit that they text and drive.  When people think about using their phones they should really think about the consequences.

The consequences that come with texting and driving can sometimes or always be major.  Before anybody even thinks about using there phone they need to use there brain and actually think about what could happen.  If you get pulled over in alaska for texting and driving the highest penalty is $10,000 and one year in jail.  In our local state MN they will charge on average $135 depending on how bad the situation is.  Some states such as Montana and south dakota have no bans which absolutely blows my mind.  Last but not least is the injuries and punishments for crashes.

Nobody ever wants to get in a crash with a vehicle at anytime due to all the injuries that could take place.  My dad was on sight about a half a year ago and experienced a crash involved with somebody texting.  One of my dad's crew members was driving a water tank truck and killed somebody also knocking down a stop light.  They were all wondering what caused this crash and if it involved anything with his phone he could indeed have way worse consequences.  They figured out that he couldn't stop and had to swerve to avoid hitting somebody.  If he was on his phone he could have sentenced almost 10 years in prison and also major fines.

In my opinion everybody should be illegal to use their phone while on or in any vehicle.  Somebody should come up with some type of technology that turns all phones off when you enter in the car.  In conclusion all the statistics, injuries, and consequences should give people enough common sense not to text and drive.  We should all encourage new teen drivers the safest ways to drive even if some don't listen.  Overall both texting and driving clearly do not belong together and can be saved for doing both things separately.