My Opinion on Technology | Teen Ink

My Opinion on Technology

April 2, 2017
By ShaunW BRONZE, Gainesville , Florida
ShaunW BRONZE, Gainesville , Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My opinion on technology It is 2017 right now, and we have a lot of technology, such as the iPhone, iPad, computer or TV.And we love those things so much, because those things actually gives us some goodness.We can use our phone to contact someone else even they live in another country,but we can still contact them,even FaceTime with them or use some other apps,like Email or facebook.We can use the iPad to do some other things, like play mobile games, do work, or to use it for our school or business.All people loving play video games, we can play video game on TV or a computer, and we can totally enjoy those games on a huge screen.Everything about technology sounds so good, but you never know that good is different than nice.

 

Right now, we’re using our technology every single day.We can play games, listen to music, watch videos, and text our friends.But we are reducing the distance between us and the family, diminishing our vision.According to the Vision Council of America, approximately 75% of adults use some sort of vision correction. About 64% of them wear eyeglasses, and about 11% wear contact lenses, either exclusively, or with glasses. Over half of all women and about 42% of men wear glasses.If you’re thinking about it, that’s actually a really huge number.But this is only in the United States.What about the other countries?

 

There’re so many people that like to play video games, and kids who play violent video games might act more aggressively.But here's the good news: Playing video games some of the time can be OK. Just choose quality games and limit screen time — which includes TV, computer, smartphone, tablet, and video game time combined — to no more than 2 hours a day,that’s fine.But I’ve seen many classmates who play video games over 7-8 hours a day, and that is not healthy at all, I actually did that before, and that feels great, my eyes ended up very dry. Many parents suspect that kids who spend significant amounts of time playing video games may not be devoting enough time to school work.A report in Issues in Mental Health Nursing confirmed just this: “Results revealed that time spent playing games was related … to aggression and … to school competence.”  In particular, violent games were directly related to attention problems and generally led to a greater decline in academic performance.So there are many bad things that come from video games if you play them too much.

 

The use of online social media outlets causes us to meet face-to-face with much less frequency resulting in a lack of much needed social skills. We lose the ability to read body language and social cues in other people.Some of the negative effects of technology can be linked to the effect it has on sleep habits.We get sucked into online activities that keep us up too late and the constant stream of information can make it difficult to turn off our brains. Also, the ambient glow from screens can affect the release of melatonin, the sleep chemical.Keeping technology out of the bedroom would be a very healthy habit to acquire.Constantly looking down at devices can cause neck pain and over time will cause the neck to lose its natural curve.Eyestrain can also cause headaches, blurred vision and migraines.Using headphones and earbuds can cause people to lose their hearing over time. Likewise, straining your eyes looking at computer and device screens can cause people to need glasses much earlier in life.

 

Lack of social skills, poor sleeping habits, neck and head pain, loss of hearing and eyesight, and so many more bad stuff comes from overusing technology.We need to figure out how to fix these problems.If we want to get away from these technologies, we need to take a break, get a better sleep,read some books, do some yoga, go outside and hang out with friends or family members without a phone, TV, video games or movies.We can still have some fun things to do, but it just depends on what kind of life you want to live.