Don't Eat with Your Mouth Open | Teen Ink

Don't Eat with Your Mouth Open

I can’t stand it when people chew loudly or with their mouth open, or both! All it takes is a little bit of manners, and they won’t annoy anyone around.

Food is enjoyable, I know but why is it so hard for some people to close their mouths and chew silently?

Imagine going on a date with your girlfriend. Then, some guy next to you is chewing at the sound of 1000 decibels! I mean, literally! You are trying to get romantic with this new hot babe who you just asked out, and a guy just annoys you the whole time. For the whole session, you two tried to have a pleasant conversation but this guy just goes “Nom Nom” whenever he chews. These kind of people usually chew too fast and too careless.

This behavior is socially unacceptable, and the people who do it deserve to be punished. -  Maybe not that harsh, but someone have to teach them how to respect other people in public.

Another case is when people chew with their mouth open. People usually make a loud noise when they chew with their mouth open. All they need to do is slow down, and that will help fix their careless way of eating. I’ve sat next to people that chew with their mouth entirely open. Trust me, it is one of the most unpleasant thing you probably feel your whole life. It is disturbing to see food falling out of a person’s mouth because when you chew with your mouth open, food is probably more likely to come out of your mouth. It is off-putting for my own appetite.

Nobody wants to see your food after it has been chew up, the image is disturbing. So if you read this and you are some of the people that do the actions listed above, then please reevaluate the way you are eating. Don’t be surprise if the person you had diner with never want to eat with you again if you continue to consume food this way.

An writing in Huffington Post stated that: “Open-mouth chewing makes us feel insane. Be it gum, cereal, bananas (okay, we have to stop because we’re grossing ourselves out), we are glad you are enjoying it, but we would all prefer to either hear it, nor see it”(Orchant). This statement proves that what open mouth chewers are doing are disgusting, and should not be continued.

Some people might think that this is just some petty action that people do, but to me it is not. An individual stated that: “Stop complaining about things that is as small as people chewing with their mouth open. It’s their way of living their life. Don’t complain, and move on with your own life” (Watson). The person thinks that people that complain about open mouth chewing are over-complicated, and nosy into others’ life. This statement is completely untrue. We are not over-complicated. When somebody is acting with bad manners, we have have to prevent that from happening in the future. What we have to do is pointing the wrongs, so that no one will be irritated by people with bad manners again. We also are not nosy. We don’t care about their lives, or specifically what they do. All we care about is that if people are disturbing ones among them, they need to be stopped.

There is no excuse for people who can’t close their mouth while chewing, and disturb others by the way they eat. It reflects poor manners and lacks courtesy and consideration for those around them.

So please, if you are some of the people listed above, think how you are making the people around you feel uncomfortable, and that is not making anybody affectionate to you.