Giving Up Isn't the Right Choice | Teen Ink

Giving Up Isn't the Right Choice

March 29, 2017
By Anonymous

Do not give up on your life! There are better things that you can do than giving up. You should start thinking about how long you have been trying and holding on, so why would you let everything go now? Why?


You might think that you’re having lots of negative sides of yourself, and you’re being useless. No, others think you are a nice person, who cares for others. People can see more positive sides of you than negative. “What we see is not always what there is” (Laughlin). This means that you’re looking at yourself only in a certain way but that is not everything, there are different ways to observe too. Brianna Wiest once said, “Life is not a series of problems to be solved, it’s a journey that you should be fascinated by. Sit back and observe as you live” (Wiest). This explained that your life doesn't always have problems. Maybe there was the time that you actually wanted to give up on everything, there were so many things that were stressing you out and giving you lots of pressure. You didn’t think you could get over all of that. However, when you think carefully, there are better things to do, there are different ways to solve your problems, so you should be patient and look around you and understand that things can be better than you think it is.


There was a day when I was in a really crummy mood. I thought I was a useless person, so I thought I can’t do or help anything. I don’t deserve the kindness that people were giving me. I was going to give up on everything that day. However, this one person have changed the way I thought, Angela He. “It is okay to have breakdowns and throw fits and throw stuff around. It is okay to get angry and mad and jealous. It is okay to be upset. It is okay to be sick of it all. It is okay to not be okay. But it is not okay to give up.” I thought she was right, it is okay if I feel down, so it is okay if I am upset. I can get depressed, but it is just a bad day. I’ll be better later on, so there’s no reason why to quit trying.


If you’re going to quit then you should start thinking about your family. Your mom, who gave birth to you and takes care of you. Your dad, who works hard for your family and your siblings too. You have to understand that, they’ll always be there for you.


There will be the time that you should stop overthinking, be more positive and let things go like how it supposed to. Jack Ma have said that “Never give up. Today is hard, tomorrow will be worse, but the day after tomorrow will be the sunshine” ("A).  Think positive, think wisely and think for yourself more.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece because I thought suicidal happened a lot in my life and especially in my age group, it has become complex in the society. I thought there should be a way to stop this. I wrote this piece to let people read and understand that they can do better, there are better things out there to do than making this WRONG decision. I know this piece is not a piece of writing that would affect every single one of them but somehow I think it could help part of our world.