The Perfect World of Right and Wrong | Teen Ink

The Perfect World of Right and Wrong

March 14, 2017
By Reeses_Pieces BRONZE, Land O\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\, Florida
Reeses_Pieces BRONZE, Land O\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
I HAVE THE POWER



- He-Man


In the words of Neal Shusterman, “In a perfect world everything would be either black or white, right or wrong, and everyone would know the difference. But this isn't a perfect world. The problem is people who think it is.” He says this in his book Unwind where the plot is that kids from thirteen to eighteen can be “unwound”, meaning that all their organs are transplanted to people who need them. The logic behind Unwinding was that since the individual body parts are alive, the patient was not killed, but stopped living.


The debate of whether this was right or wrong has perplexed me to the point where I would take long walks through the thicket of my garden, going around in circles until my feet killed me with pain as I tried to find an answer. I soon realized, after thought and consideration, that the process of unwinding is neither, but walks on the fine line between right and wrong.


For a while however, I thought this case of being neither only pertained to the world of Unwind and the worlds of other books that he wrote. Now, I see this grey line, a line that mixes the views of everyone, everywhere to politics, to civil wars, to history’s greatest leaders.


The reason that I believed that these were grey areas was because the way someone looks at a topic is different from one person to another, in the same way that different cameras look at the same area of space but from different angles, causing all cameras to see a unique view of the space.


The only place where grey is separated into black and white and the line between them is distinct and clear can only be found in our imagination.


That perfect world would inhabit people that would all know what good and bad really means. That perfect world wouldn’t have the dense fog that blinds us, that misdirects us, that misleads us from what we know of right and wrong. That perfect world would be harmony finally separating the righteous from the unjust and will draw the line between them. That perfect world is the dream that I crave for like craving for  prizes and fame and hopefully, my dream will come true.