Why We Should Give Native Americans Money | Teen Ink

Why We Should Give Native Americans Money

The most logical way to pay back the Native Americans is to pay reparations. The topic of paying back the Native Americans has been forgotten for many years, and it is time to make it a priority too think about paying them back.

“I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it’s Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds,” Senator Barack Obama. This is saying that we should offer the native americans more than just are words. We need offer them things such as our money to repay them. We need to repay them by giving them money.

“Our inner cities and Indian reservations are now a legacy of what happened in the past. And the question is less assigning blame or pointing out active racism, because that’s not the reason that those places are in such bad shape today, but rather figuring out if we are now willing to spend the money to deal with that past history so we can move forward to a brighter future?” This is saying we need to forget the past and focus on what we can do in the future to help the native americans. We need to  give the native americans something that we can repay them with. We could repay them by giving them money so they could get new land and still money left over for other things.

In many ways the Americans affected the Native Americans. To name one is stated in Santana, Chief of the Kiowas, 1867. U.S. Bureau Ethnography Annual Report, 1895-96. Santana  states, “a long time ago this land belonged to our fathers; but when I go up the river I see camps of soldiers on its banks. These soldiers cut down my timber; they kill my buffalo; and when I see that, my heart feels like bursting; I feel sorry.” This document labeled as A in  summary means that the chief of this tribe feels sorry to his past elders that he let them down for letting the expanding Americans take their land. Yet he could not have done anything about it because the Americans believed that they could take their land because they felt they were better and because of, “manifest destiny” (the belief that the Americans had the God given right to expand westward. The Federal government's contribution to this is themselves believing they can kick the Native Americans off their own land and the government commanding soldier camps to order Native Americans off of the land. This is one of many actions the federal government and the Americans that affected the Native Americans. This is saying that soldiers of the us came to the native americans land and chopped down Kiowas timber, killed his buffalo and he said when he say that his heart felt like it was bursting. We should give back to the native Americans by giving them money so they can buy new land and get new buffalo, food, and seeds to plant new trees.

Some might argue that money is not the right the thing to give the Native Americans and we should give them land. They might say this because we took away their land so we should give back what we stole from them. However this isn’t true because with the money we can give them they can fix up their schools, fix up run their houses, and most of all be able to get more food to eat. They would need money to fix all of these things and land cannot do that for them. Senator Obama states, “I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it’s Native Americans or African-American issues  or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds,” -Senator Barack Obama. This is saying with the money we can give them they can get new things that they had before but much newer and better than before. They will also be able to get much more food than they were able to before. Only money can fix up their schools and fix their houses that they have too live in.

In conclusion we should repay the Native Americans by giving them money. We should do this because with the money we can give them they can get new land along with new buffalo and trees, and food.