The Muslim Ban | Teen Ink

The Muslim Ban

February 17, 2017
By Anonymous

Many people in the United States of America believe that those who are of Muslim descent should be banned from entering the country. However our founding father Thomas Jefferson once said, “ We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal.” This country has always stood on the values that we are the land of the free and the home of the brave. We cannot assume that if a person comes from Iraq or Syria that they are a part of ISIS. The United States of America should accept every human being despite whether they are Muslim or not.

 

Most people have chosen to believe that Muslim people should be banned from the U.S. because they practice acts of terrorism or a part of ISIS but that is not true. According to the Central intelligence agency, the approximate population of Iraq is 38,146,025. ISIS currently has around 25,000 militant. That is less than a quarter of the entire population.  White House spokesperson Josh Earnest said, that a number of successful air strikes have stopped the flow of people joining ISIS. “The old assessment was a range of 20,000 to 31,500 fighters. The updated assessment is now a range of 19,000 to 25,000 fighters,” (Rt) This proves that the amount of terrorists in the organization ISIS have decreased tremendously.

         

The Muslim people also believe in a religion called Islam which is a very peaceful religion. Muslims believe that, “ Humans are the greatest of all creatures, created with free will for the purpose of obeying and serving God” ( Islam). Muslim’s do consider their religion to be the best however they are accepting of all races and religions. Muslim also believe in the five pillars of faith which all those who believe in Islam must abide by. The five pillars are, “Shahadah: sincerely reciting the Muslim profession of faith, Salat: performing ritual prayers in the proper way five times each day, Zakat: paying an alms (or charity) tax to benefit the poor and the needy Sawm: fasting during the month of Ramadan, Hajj: pilgrimage to Mecca” (BBC). The religion Islam accepts all people and they are taught to give to the poor. The people of Islam believe in a peaceful way of life and they are good people, it should not be assumed that they are violent people committing crimes and therefore should be allowed into the country.

   

The Muslim ban and the book “Anthem” by Ayn Rand are similar in many ways. The people in the town where equality is from notice his flaws or differences and try to condemn him for it. Equality states “ It is not good to be different from our brothers, but it is evil to be superior to the. The Teachers told us so…” (Rand, 21) they are trying to break equality’s will and make him believe that his differences are a sin, just like they are trying to suppress the Muslims and make them believe that they should not be able to enter the country. The world council of scholars in the book also try and shame equality for bring his electric box in and they said, “This thing… must be destroyed.”(Rand, 74) People fear what they do not understand and the council does not understand this newfound power that equality has discovered therefore they try to diminish it just like America is destroying the hopes and dreams of Muslims searching for freedom.

 

The opposing view on this argument is that people don't believe Muslims should be allowed in this country because there religious text The Quran is demonstrating that the Islamic people must put themselves and their race before other people and they will kill you if you do not join the religion. Muslims believe that, “ Allah will send them to hell if they do not join the slaughter.” (The Quran’s Verses of Violence).  Some people believe that there are too many muslims that take the text literally and use extremities to get their opinion across such as beheadings, or bombing.


Muslims are peaceful protectors of their religion and respects other people's beliefs. Also their are very few muslims that are a part of ISIS. The muslims are being wrongfully accused of taking a part in these illegal activities because a select few choose to take their religion overboard and therefor should be allowed into the country to receive medical attention, better opportunities and freedom.