Aroma of Memories | Teen Ink

Aroma of Memories

By myang21 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
myang21 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

One candle, another candle, a whole counter of candles, but which candle should I light up this time? A Christmas scented candle. Striking a match. Light up the candle. Blow the match out. The peculiar smell of the burnt wood fills up the room but quickly gets trampled by the aroma of French vanilla.

Suddenly, a flashback erupts in my mind. Christmas day, about 5 years ago, the scent of vanilla filled my nose with enjoyment. It was about early 7 a.m when we dash out of our room and race to the edge of the living room."OMG! There's so many PRESENTS!" my sister yells with me running behind her.  Is there a lot of presents for each of us, or is it because there's 9 people in my family that has a few presents under there? Either way, the under the Christmas tree was filled with countless presents. With the 7 kids that were in the living screaming of excitement, my dad wakes up. YAY! we get to open our presents up now! My mom had just lit a candle that smelled deliciously like vanilla that filled kitchen and living room. My mom races for the camera in her room. My siblings and I rush to the Christmas tree now kneeling to see which presents were ours. "WAIT! Picture, guys!" mom yelling over our excitement. "Can we do it after we open our presents?!" I say, realizing that would it wasn't a reasonable statement. "No, but it'll be fast anyways" says my mom. "Alright guys hurry up so we could open them!" I yell out of frustration. "Say Merry Christmas!" my mom says smiling. "Merry CHRISTMAS!" And SNAP. The memory dissolved out of my mind.

If memories had feet, sometimes they would run away and get lost in the midst of other memories or stress. But whenever something you smell, taste, see, hear, or feel that you had during that memory, then that memory can try to find its way home like smoke coming out of a chimney from your home in a dark forest. Your memories can always run away but cannot be lost forever unless you want to kick those memories out from your home, and still sometimes they even might come back because they miss their home. Your memories are delicate and meaningful so you should always try to keep them in to remind you of your life lessons from them or even bringing you happiness you had from it. More than 4000 and plus days I have lived but I can't remember everyone of the memories I've had in those days. But I can tell you that when it's the right time, those memories of mine is going to come and it will bring me joy, and sometimes sadness but that's why I have this time now to bring myself to make more joyful memories to remember in the future.