This Isn't How Ameria Should Be | Teen Ink

This Isn't How Ameria Should Be

By GBerge BRONZE, Nottingham, Maryland
GBerge BRONZE, Nottingham, Maryland

Ever since I was little, I have been told many great things about the country in which I am so fortunate to live. The United States of America has not only been a symbol of hope, but also a land of opportunity and freedom, creating a reputation of one of the world’s finest nations. People from around the world dream of coming to America in search of a new life. One that is full of success and opportunity, providing a better life for their children, as well as themselves.  There are so many reasons why our beloved country is the ultimate paradise to so many people, but now it seems that we are beginning to fall apart. 

Throughout the past few years, the American people have drifted far away from the original values on which this country was founded. We no longer seem capable of accepting all people, regardless of their race, ethnicity, sexuality, or religious background. We have become oversensitive to things like discrimination against one another and have now emphasized it to the point where we can no longer live our lives without constantly worrying about issues like these. This has affected the basic social interaction between people in this country, and it is completely unnecessary. No one should have to worry about themselves or other people just because of the way they look, or how they choose to live their lives. We have only seen these types of problems long before when there was actual reason to stand and fight, but now it just seems childish. 

Not only have we been unaccepting of fellow human beings in this country, but we have also reached the point where the smallest things can divide the entire nation, turning us all against one another. Simple matters of opinion like immigration or politics have spread like wildfire throughout the country, causing major disputes and even false accusations just to prove a point. Political parties have grown to such a large scale, to where they are just another label that people use to judge or pick a fight. Even the media has become corrupt on many levels, originally meant to be truthful stories open to the public, which are now filled with fake news, bias viewpoints, and inaccurate stories. 

I have hope in our nation, that we will soon be able to realize that this is not how anything is supposed to be. Social interaction was not meant to be this difficult, and it all comes down to one simple problem. We, as Americans have lost our humanity. We are no longer nice to one another, we let the simplest things upset us in the most complicated of ways, and we don’t even seem to care enough to step back and look at what we have become. We as Americans need to take a stand and make a change. We need to stop acting like five year olds and be mature towards one another. We need to change, and that change needs to happen now.