Mail Call! | Teen Ink

Mail Call!

By Zman2320 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Zman2320 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

Thank you for your service! You probably hear those five words a lot, but you deserve it. All of you deserve that and way more for what you did for this country. I’d like to show you my gratitude and how humble I am for what you did and do.

First off, even if you are a retired veteran, you still stand for something big. You are a hero to all, a family to some and a soldier at heart. In my mind, you will always be protecting me and this country. You have done so much already and it’s my turn to pay you back.

For those who are still working and are veterans, you must really have a drive to keep doing great things for this country after you already did a major part for us all. There's so many veterans and soldiers out there protecting the people of their country and most of you don’t get anything in return. For what you did for us, you deserve so much more. But right now all I can do is truly say thank you.

I am a high school student in Wisconsin.  I play on the Varsity Lacrosse team and I played football for three years. I decided not to play this year to focus on lacrosse because I want to play in college. As a senior at Arrowhead, I’ll be heading out to college next year. So far, I am accepted to two schools I applied to.

My grandpa was in the Vietnam War, he became a gunship helicopter pilot. He never really talked about the war and what all happened, not even my mom knew a lot until I started asking questions for a school paper. He told me about all the test he had to take, the training, what they did on their free time. He also told me about the war. It’s all so interesting and I wish I would have asked earlier.

After hearing all this about my grandpa, I wish I could hear more soldiers stories because they are history and should be told. Everyone of your stories should be heard. Again I’d like to say thank you for everything you have done for me and this country. Your service to this country is greatly appreciated.