Your Dark Blanket. | Teen Ink

Your Dark Blanket.

November 18, 2016
By Anonymous

Do you ever feel like there is just a blanket of darkness surrounding you that you just can’t escape? The blanket filled with sadness, anger, and loss that just drags around with you all day. Like a shadow that never leaves no matter how bright the light is or how dark the night is.That blanket, that shadow, or whatever you call it is a disease that is toxic and drowning that disease it’s depression.

    

You are not the only one who suffers from this disease in 2012 the NIMH estimated that 350 people worldwide suffer from depression. You and many others believe that this disease, this shadow will never go away, but it can if you seek treatment. Many ask what is a treatment for depression and how can I get help? Well, there are many treatment options but there is one that is right for you. What options are there you may ask Therapies, Medications, Medical procedures, or seeing a Specialists?

   

Therapies include Psychotherapy also known as “talk therapy” is an effective treatment for clinical depression. Although on its own, may not be enough to treat severe depression. But it can play an important role when used with other treatments, including medication. “Talk therapy” used to help the person find ways to deal with everyday stressors. It can also encourage you to use your medications properly.

       

Although it takes time to diagnose depression, it can also be complicated to find the proper medication, it can be a difficult process. Some who may suffer from depression may also have conditions such as heart, liver, or kidney disease, that can make taking antidepressants unsafe. Taking an antidepressant could be ineffective for you. It’s important you know that only 30% of people with depression go into full remission after taking their first corse of antidepressants That’s according to a 2006 study funded by the National Institutes of Health. Those who got better were more likely to be taking slightly higher doses for longer periods. Different antidepressant work better for different people. And it can take a few tries to find the right antidepressant. And you may need to take more than one antidepressant.

   

Medical procedures include electric shock therapy, this can be used for major depression that hasn't responded to other treatments. Electroconvulsive Therapy is the safest and most effective treatment available for depression.Electroconvulsive Therapy is performed with electrodes that are placed on the patient's scalp when under general anesthesia. The current causes a small seizure in the brain.

 

No matter what you choose for your treatment you condition will surely improve, and your blanket of darkness will feel cozy and warm again.