A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Ice Caps Melting | Teen Ink

A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Ice Caps Melting

By WilliamsJenna BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan
WilliamsJenna BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan

A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution  for Ice Caps Melting

FOR PREVENTING THE ESCALATION AND LONG TERM PERPETUATION OF THE ICE CAPS MELTING

It is a melancholy object to those who claim to have pride in this world  let it drown from the effects of the ice caps melting. This catastrophe caused by global warming melts the polar ice caps destroying homes of many marine life, and humankind. Not only are homes ruined, but people who are not able to afford a new home have to live on the streets. The climate change caused by global warming will throw Earth's natural order out of line leading the world into an abrupt ending.

I think it is agreed by all parties that the life-threatening occurrence of the ice caps melting is a real problem for our next generation, and the environment. Whoever is able to design a plan that could help solve the ice cap dissolving issue deserves more than any reward that lays upon the Earth.

But my intention is far from being confined to provide only for the betterment of our world. Everyone working together will make our society stronger and more trustworthy, peaceful place to live. New bonds will be formed, and old broken bonds will reconnect.

As to my own part, I have studied the proposals of other projectors, and concluded that they are not nearly as efficient as they claim to be. Cutting down the use of Carbon Dioxide would not work since it will still add to the atmosphere. Many people do not want to give up their possessions, since a lot of items that many people use everyday has carbon in it.  I propose rather than trying to stop it we deal with it another way. This way there will be many job openings for people who need one.

I will now present my own idea, which I hope will not be subject to any disagreement.

I humbly offer it to public consideration that humankind is a cohesive and cooperative unit should all work together peacefully like we usually do and help build really high buildings so we will all be safe from the rising water. Since we all care about each other working together should be really easy!
In this scenario every country would have a documented outline on what they should build, and when to start building. Everyone would love to drop everything and work on something that probably will not even concern them. SInce the world is so big, it will take a lot of people to help make this work. People who are currently unemployed will become heroes because they are helping to save the world. Since it’s easier to let this ice caps melt, salt will need to be added to the ocean so the marine life stays alive.

Of course all entertainment activities will be prohibited since there will be no time for such trivial things when our lives are at stake. Everyone will be busy working on the buildings since they will have nothing else to do. All everyone does is sit on their butts anyway. In addition it will be necessary to try and save all plants because they will die from lack of sun, or being underwater. Everyone will still have all their possessions and will not have to give up anything.

These drastic and sudden changes to our world will be sudden and new, but will turn out great if societies get together and help each other to overcome the hardships that will come before the calming. This is not an easy task to achieve. By doing our part the future generation will be able to look back and appreciate everything that was done to save their one and only home. We’ll be Gods in their eyes.

I can think of no valid objection that may be introduced to antagonize this proposal, unless many believe that it would take a long time to build a whole other world that is in the sky. There is hope that the reader will learn that this problem is of big importance. It will be a new way of living, and there will be many changes to normal lives. My proposal will not send us back in time, and humanity will be safe from the riveting waters that will consume the world. 

Again, no one should dare to suggest these notions to me until they have a small spark of hope that these actions may be implemented.

It is not that I do not respect the input of others on the subject of solutions to this topic, but simply that I have spent a lifetime researching and analyzing the subject. This plan is 100% foolproof because no one will want to give up their new technology to save a big chunk of ice.

I am a junior in high school. This is a satirical writing for a social issue about the ice caps melting.