A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Police Brutality | Teen Ink

A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Police Brutality

By hilton_k BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan
hilton_k BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan

FOR PREVENTING THE ESCALATION AND LONG TERM PERPETUATION OF POLICE BRUTALITY

It is a melancholy object to stop the social issue of police brutality. Police brutality is the use of excessive force by police officers in situations that don’t necessarily need it. These officers are abusing their power and murdering innocent people. All police officers are now being looked at as bad people. If this issue does not get resolved, there will most likely be more riots and a world war could break out against law enforcement and the citizens of the United States. This is an example of exaggeration because the world wouldn’t actually go into war, just maybe a small part, the United States would just continue having riots and bad encounters with law enforcement officers and citizens.

I think it is agreed by all parties that the life-threatening occurrence of police brutality needs to come to an end before the entire United States is out shooting each other to prove a point. The point they would be proving is the fact that officers can get away with it, so why can’t they? If you can come up with a solution for this issue, send it to the court so they can give you the award of doing nothing about it because they don’t see anything wrong with police brutality. As they think, all police officers are innocent and just kill people for their own safety.  This is an example of sarcasm because it is intended to say that the law system is not fair and everything is clearly in favor of police officers.

But my intention is far from being confined to provide only for the betterment of the United States. People need to stop being murdered by police officers for no valid reason. Police officers need to not just jump to conclusions and kill someone because they think a phone is a gun. About 300,000 of these murders have happened but if you think about it, none of these murders would happen is there wasn’t any police officers to kill them. This is an example of exaggeration because not that many people have actually been killed by police officers because they mistaken a phone for a gun. Also, if there wasn’t officers, there wouldn’t have to be an unfair law system in general.

As to my own part, I have studied the proposals of other projectors, and concluded that they are not nearly as efficient as they claim to be. One piece of equipment, the body camera, was supposed to help this issue. This camera is supposed to be used to see what actually happened in the encounter of an officer and a citizen. These cameras are partially helping the issue but they are definitely not going to solve the problem. If this issue continues, more hate is going to add up toward police officers. This will then cause more riots and most likely more poor actions by the officers and justice system. Without officers, there wouldn’t be fighting between the police and US citizens.

I will now present my own idea, which I hope will not be subject to any disagreement.

I humbly offer it to public consideration that humankind as a cohesive and cooperative unit, should abolish police officers and the entire law system behind them. If this law system was gone it would be a free for all for everyone. That way, everyone can go on a killing rant and there is no one there to take care of this issue. These killings could happen everyday, all day, all night, and it would never matter. It’s just people dying right? This is an example of hyperbole because this sentence isn’t supposed to be taken literally because killing people is definitely not okay and there should be punishments for it no matter who did it.

In this scenario, as a whole, US citizens would have to take some action. The first step in taking action is to burn down all of the criminal justice and law enforcement buildings. This could take a matter of minutes to complete if everyone works together. This is an example of exaggeration because this task will truly take a lot of time and it won’t be very easy. This will benefit us due to the fact that police officers can’t hide behind walls anymore and they have to be out in the streets as we are. We can then handle this situation like men, and fight until they all vanish. This is an example of situational irony because the reader doesn’t know what is going to happen to these officers next.

Of course there is more to the plan than that. The next step is to take every officer hostage and make them watch what us US citizens are made of. We will show them how we don’t need them to cause violence on our streets and we can take care of it ourselves. After all, we US citizens know everything and we are so much better than everyone else. This is an example of sarcasm because in reality we aren’t that great of people. As people, we just think that we are so much better than everyone else is so no one else matters.

These drastic and sudden changes may be difficult to put into action. If you think about it, today, police officers use excessive force against us when we aren’t truly doing any harm worth them taking our lives, but if we start taking action, they will just use more force against us because they have a valid reason to. This will cause fights between all law enforcement, maybe even the military, and the US citizens as a whole. This plan of action could get out of control quickly, but it most definitely worth it. If we completely get rid of this system, there won’t be anymore police brutality, ever.

I can think of no valid objection that may be introduced to antagonize this proposal. Some people might say that if we abolish the police, who will be there to solve other crimes and deal with bad situations? Police are the problem, if they are gone, crime will still happen, but the police won’t be to blame anymore. People would then have to look at it as if maybe the police weren’t the problem but they were. So, as long as police are gone, we will never have to know the answers to these questions and we will be better off as a whole.

Again, no one should dare suggest these notions to me until they have a small spark of hope that these actions may be implemented.

It is not that I do not respect the input of others on the subject of solutions to this topic, but simply that it would just take away the whole issue if police officers and other law enforcement was gone. I have researched this topic for a very large amount of time and the solutions people are trying to imply are just not enough. As a country, we need a larger, more action taking solution. Overall, that is why abolishing these officers is the only solution. They will be gone and we won’t have them to blame. We would then only have ourselves to blame if something goes wrong.