A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Nuclear Weapon Usage | Teen Ink

A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Nuclear Weapon Usage

November 11, 2016
By BradKali BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan
BradKali BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

FOR PREVENTING THE ESCALATION AND LONG TERM PERPETUATION OF NUCLEAR WEAPON USAGE


It is a melancholy object to: Nuclear weapons are a plague to mankind, doing nothing but killing, destroying, and costing us money. The chances of a nuclear world war raise every day that the superpowers of the world possess these weapons of mass destruction. We must cure the plague of nuclear weapons as soon as possible.


I think it is agreed by all parties that the life-threatening occurrence: The first atomic bomb ever used on people was equivalent to 15 kilotons of tnt and it killed 140,000 people. The latest nuclear weapon created by the United States contains 14,800 kilotons worth of tnt, making you think: How many lives could that destroy? A person bold enough to propose a solution to such an extreme problem deserves a real treat.


But my intention is far from being confined to provide only for the betterment of:
A solution of this caliber could be responsible for saving the lives of billions. It would also save plentiful plants, animals, and other wildlife. It would be responsible for saving trillions of dollars. It would even be responsible for saving the natural landscape from deterioration.


As to my own part, I have studied the proposals of other projectors, and concluded that they are not nearly as efficient as they claim to be: Millions of people have protested the situation, and although that sounds like a lot, look where it got us. Whole countries have proposed abstinence of nuclear weapons, but what good is it if the world powers, the United States, Russia, the United Kingdom, all still own these weapons? Without a real, solid solution to the problem it will keep growing until we have nuclear weapons double the size of the ones we already have. This solution can save the planet Earth from its self-destruction.


I will now present my own idea, which I hope will not be subject to any disagreement.


I humbly offer it to public consideration that humankind as a cohesive and cooperative unit, should: The people and leaders  all around the world must gather together as one. Once all of  the world’s leaders of superpower countries fork up their entire nuclear weapon supply and combine it together we will have quite the lineup for a nuclear fireworks show. The people will be able to enjoy this barrage of pretty colors (from a distance of course.)


In this scenario: A simple handshake between the world leaders will identify the trust that they have contributed their entire nuclear weapon supply and do not plan on building it any further. How can it get better than the immediate extinction of nuclear weapons, and a spectacular fireworks show?


Of course: That fateful handshake would, of course, lead to even further trust around the world as it would be a symbol. People around the world would look to that moment and be inspired to strive to create further peace in other situations, ultimately making the threat of anything as scary as nuclear weapons, or anything of the sort, nonexistent.


These drastic and sudden changes: The main difficulty in making this happen is the fact that trust between all world leaders seems like a high order. There is not a point in history where the entire world united in peace, but who says that this can not be the first time? This solution would act as the spark that ignites the world into permanent peace.


I can think of no valid objection that may be introduced to antagonize this proposal: Some people might bring up the point that well, “how can any country have a sense of security without any major defenses?” Well this question can simply be defeated with this statement: “Who needs defenses when you have world trust and peace?”


Again, no one should dare to suggest these notions to me until they have a small spark of hope that these actions may be implemented.


It is not that I do not respect the input of others on the subject of solutions to this topic, but simply that: Around two weeks of extensive research has gone into this solution. A solution that comes with the same successes as this can not just be created in a day, (or at all.) This is the only solution that could reach the insane level of success it will because any other solution would just end in the return of nuclear weapons. Trust is the only answer, and an eternity in peace will be the greatest reward.