Bunnies Are Buddies | Teen Ink

Bunnies Are Buddies

October 26, 2016
By PaisleyRose BRONZE, Carmichael, California
PaisleyRose BRONZE, Carmichael, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We have a bill of rights that protects us as individuals.  I believe it’s about time for the animals of our country to have their own set of rights. As Americans we know our rights; we know we have inalienable rights that cannot be taken away. The rights granted to us by the laws of our land are those of  life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. However, our furry friends don’t have basic rights such as these regardless of their status or contribution to society. As Americans and human beings we must question: why is it that bunnies can be mutilated in laboratories? Why is it that sharks can be hunted for their teeth and snakes for their skin? Animals are mistreated in the name of extracurricular activities, production, fashion and money for the human race's own indulgence. Animals deserve to obtain their own bill of rights for their protection.


Due to the indulgence and the over use of animals the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) was created in 1979. Their mission is to “protect the lives and advance the interests of animals through the legal system.” The ALDF is proposing to the United States Congress a petition of having a Bill of Rights for animals. Their proposed Bill of Rights consists of six rights, advocating against the exploitation, abuse, neglect and cruelty of animals. It speaks on behalf of both wild animals and house animals.


With media surrounding us, we have constant reminders of what is going on in our country. From the election to the development of the Black Lives Matter movement our media is heavily filled with topics that cloud our mind. However there is no coverage of how animals are treated. The concept of animal rights are put on the back burner for topics that are more prominent in our day to day life. The rights of our animals are just as important as any other news segment. Those who disagree with this proposed animal bill of rights use the excuse that humans are the dominant species therefore animals and humans do not deserve the same rights. The biggest depiction of difference between us and animals is that “animals don’t have souls.” When in reality animals have as strong of an emotional connection as humans do. Koko the Gorilla desired to have a baby of her own, which is a common feeling many human women also have. Due to her lack of interest in Ndume a male gorilla, her owners adopted a kitten to be her baby. The kitten’s name was Moe and the two of them grew very close, Koko was a great mother to Moe. She expressed the death of Moe as being bad and sad, leaving her with a droopy frown. The connection Koko and Moe had is the same mother daughter connection we see in humans. We see the unconditional love for each other like a human relationship carries, we also see when death comes along, the mother feels great sorrow and heartbreak. Animals are just intune with their emotions like humans are, which is why animal deserve their own bill of rights.


Human beings are considered the main species of our planet and are the main predators. We own this title as we unnecessarily conduct experiments on animals with similar DNA, exploit them for our entertainment and recreationally hunt them for their skin, teeth, meat and bones.


We all  understand humans and animals need to coexist, but hey, there are some bad guys in this situation. However, together we can make a change to ensure the positive prosperity of The American Fauna. The first step you can take to protect animals from the cruelness they face in and out of captivity is by signing the Animal Bill of Rights created by the ALDF. After this many other steps may follow such as taking a pledge to not buy any products from a company that test on animals. Or take a pledge to not attend a SeaWorld show or a Zoo. Sign the petition for the Animal Bill of Rights. It’s a small simple step that can go a long way.