Gay Marriage: Time for a Change

'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal'' These are the words written in the Declaration of Independence and the belief that America was founded on. Of course it's obvious that equality is not the standard that our country has always abided by in the past or the ideal that it finds itself in now. Many groups including women and African Americans have fought for equal rights in our nation's history and Gay Americans now find themselves in that same struggle.

Proposition 8 (which overturned the ruling of four State Supreme Court justices and limited marriage in California to between a man and a woman) passed with a 52.2% majority last November. Religious conservatives were the force behind this unjust and unconstitutional proposition. One of the main arguments behind their fight against gay marriage is that such a situation would go against the traditional definition of marriage and conflict with biblical teachings.

The definition of marriage has changed many times over the course of history, just look inside the Bible itself. Religious conservatives often point to Genesis, where it specifies that God created Adam and Eve. However, as we have learned so many times in Theology class, historical context is extremely important when interpreting scripture. Genesis was written by a people for whom polygamy and slavery were normal, yet our society has clearly denounced these practices as social travesties. Messages in the Bible have taken on new meaning through the passage of time, in every new age its teachings are interpreted in a different social climate. It's important to remember that the things that have not changed are the teachings of love, kindness, and tolerance.

Besides, even if religious conservatives deny this truth their argument is still flawed. There is a separation between church and state in America. The purpose of the constitution is to preserve the liberties of citizens, not the freedom granted by a certain religion. The laws of this country do not have to abide by Christian beliefs, just the principles expressed in the constitution. It is by this authority that four State Supreme Court justices of California overruled proposition 22 (passed in 2000 that denied same-sex couples the right to marry), a move that infuriated religious conservatives and caused the creation of proposition 8.

Acceptance is the mark of progress, as this nation has developed it has become a haven for those that would have experienced persecution for their beliefs elsewhere. The legalization of same-sex marriage would be a testament to the loyalty of America to its promise of hope and freedom.

RightWingExtremist said...
Jun. 8, 2015 at 1:25 am
Marriage is not a civil right.

mein said...
Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:02 am
veery well writen and good form

ohmakemeover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like how you did your research and used factual evidence but also put your own emotions and opinion into the argument.  Very believable and very passionate...and I happen to agree 100%.

Jasmine7 said...
"Religious conservatives were the force behind this unjust and unconstitutional proposition." who cares who they are? anyone who cared about the issue voted. You wright as if they are a small minority of freaks, but obviously they are the majority of the people of California. You wright that it is unconstitutional, and that church and state are seperated- they may be so, but it's the people who vote, and if the people are influenced by the church, that's the way it is. The governent is of the Pe... (more »)

Chloe123 replied...
I would simply like to present the argument that when Brown v. Board of Education was announced, desegregation of public schools was a wildly unpopular idea. However, that doesn't mean it should have been up to the people to decide what rights you could or could not take away from African Americans. Sometimes, the Court has to lead the charge on human rights and the people will come around afterwards. When Alexis de Tocqueville warned us against "tyranny of the majori... (more »)

Big D said...
i disagree with this whole post becuase im against gay marriage in a whole gay poeple shouldnt be allowed to get married neither adaopt kids and kid needs a mother and a father not to dads lesbiens are coool but not  gay guys

NotYoursFroever replied...
first of all, learn how to spell. Second of all, sexism much? I understand that your entitled to your own views, but a man can raise a child just as well as a woman. Just because a man was not designed to cary a baby inside him does not mean that they can not care for a child any less...

MiaMonster replied...
homophobes and politicians are never useful in the world. considering most homophobes are afraid of something they assume about instead of totally understand. OR are uncomfortable with their own sexuality. just sayin...

ZombieDanceWithMe replied...
agreed. But regardless...

greesamu replied...
May 1, 2011 at 12:14 am
I am eager to hear a warrant for any of the ignorant claims your spewing. Was it your parents who fed you your ignorant beliefs, or someone else?

Leilantelope replied...

I wont berate you for your spelling, but I suggest you improve it so your argument can be taken more seriously.

your stance: Gay men should not be allowed to marry or adopt kids. (Lesbians are "cool", so can they get married and adopt kids?)

reason: a kid needs a mother and a father.

1) Plenty of children are raised without a father or without a mother. Should that be illegal too?

2) Studies show that kids raised by gay parents are... actually normal<... (more »)

sally said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 11:33 am
at article. This is well written and made me reconsider my views. Would like to see more from this writter.r

pony said...
Great article. This article has made me rethink my views about gay marriage. I was originally against it but I'm reconsidering.

sensible said...
This article is well written and sensitive. I don't believe in gay marriage but I do understand that others are entitled to have their opinions and choose their own life styles without judegement, interference, or cencorship from others with opposing views.

Bear said...
Well written article. The writer is a humanitarian and should be applauded. I hope this writer contributes additional articles. I look forward to reading them.

Peanut said...
This is a thoughtful and inspiring article. I think the writer is very wise and heroic. Not many people put what is right above their own self interest.

To good2013 said...
your comment is poppycock!!! It is a bigot. You should re-write it.

To good2013 said...
Your artical is put together very nice. However I believe you should read the Bible a little more, it will give you the best possible reason why it is wrong. It vividly says it is a sin for a man to sleep with with another man. That goes for women to.

cait11789 replied...
Feb. 28, 2010 at 3:14 am
dear good2013, i don't think being gay is a sin i think god just wants us all to love eachother and get along

to good2013 replied...
I agree with you 100 percent! However, it is an abomination to God. He loves everyone. Even the ones who choose to live a gay lifestyle. But he does not like the lifestyle in which you choose. God put man and woman on earth to reproduce, in other words have children. Two men, nor two women can have a child together. It takes two; man and women. That is something I think you should consider looking into! Thank you!!!