Celebrating Freedom | Teen Ink

Celebrating Freedom

By Kami.Peterson SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Kami.Peterson SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Memorial Day represents a day of national awareness and acknowledgment, honoring Americans who died while defending our Nation and its values. Memorial Day is a symbolic day that shouldn't be taken for granted. On Memorial Day, appreciate the rights and freedom you have because they weren't handed to us. They were fought for.
Memorial Day represents a day of national awareness and appreciation, honoring Americans who died while defending our Nation and its values. Memorial Day symbolizes the lives that were taken while defending our people and rights. Memorial Day is a day to be a proud American.

Memorial Day is a day to be selfless and appreciate the ones who sacrificed their lives for us to be free. This is a day to appreciate our freedom of choice and the freedom of what you say, wear, and do.This is a day to thank those who put their lives on the line. This is a day to show your Americanism loud and proud. This is a day to wave your flag high, as if your hand were attached to a bundle of balloons. This a day to wear your red, white, and blue. This is a day to admire your loved ones, to appreciate their lives.

Without these sacrifices our world would be different. When I say different I mean having freedom of choice being ripped away. These men and women put their lives on the line to preserve our country. Their loved ones sit at home going through the pain of wondering if they are alive. Constantly wondering if they will ever see their son or daughter. Memorial Day is a bittersweet day for everyone. It's a day to celebrate those who battle for their lives along with ours. It is also a day to celebrate those who are home and are able to be with their loved ones.