Why We Blame Millennials | Teen Ink

Why We Blame Millennials

July 29, 2016
By vgrey BRONZE, Warren, New Jersey
vgrey BRONZE, Warren, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Coined by the previous generation, the term “millennials” has often been heard in a negative connotation. Gracing the cover of Time magazine and other popular publications, millennials have been openly labeled as narcissistic, lazy and entitled. Older generations have claimed millennials are consumed by their cell phones, disrespectful and not driven.


Millennials are often labelled as entitled for their impact on society and molding their lives in a unique way. Throughout the years, the 1950s golden age has been romanticized and the new generation is insulted for their effort to change the outdated way of life. Instead of hoping to land a job, millennials dream bigger and embrace failure to possibly start their own businesses. As millennials, we strive to be CEOs rather than employees. For example, the creators of Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter were all still in their 20s when they became CEOs and entrepreneurs. 

Additionally, our communication is faster and more efficient. Our world of technology is significantly more fast paced allowing for greater sums of work to be completed in a single day at the office. In fact, our work ethic reflects in our passion, statistically, millennials favor job satisfaction over monetary reward. The criticizing of millennials is inaccurate but most importantly, not uncommon.

 

The concept of criticizing newer generations for their attitudes and lifestyles has been prevalent since Aristotle, Plato and Socrates. In fact, these men began the common mentality towards each younger generation. Socrates stated, “The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not servants of the households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize over their teachers.” Socrates ideology is nearly identical of those of modern day Baby Boomers. Millennials are not the “worst generation” but simply a temporary target of ridicule until the next generation. We merely struggle to embrace the evolving change of each new generation and blame their young age, inexperience and label them with derogatory terms. No generation is ruining our society, not the millennials or the Baby Boomers. This negative mentality will continue to pass along generations if we continue to blame young children before they can even mature to understand their actions.