WWIII | Teen Ink

WWIII

By anonymous06 PLATINUM, Northbridge, Massachusetts
anonymous06 PLATINUM, Northbridge, Massachusetts

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas Edison

In school we learn about the events such as the Spanish Inquistion, the Armenian Genocide, Civil Rights Movement, and both World Wars. Yet, we fail to see that those things are happening right here in America right now.

For quite some time, terrorism has been occurring in the United States. In fact as early as 1837. Yet, most of these acts were forgotten after September 2001. The 9/11 attacks destroyed the Twin Towers killing more than two thousand people. And who was behind that? Nineteen Al-Qaeda extremists. So what did we do? We began to profile anyone that looked even slightly Muslim and oppressed them as Hitler did in World War II and Queen Isabella did during the Inquisition.

When Franz Ferdinand was killed in Serbia, Austria-Hungary declared war starting the first World War. More than two thousand people were killed in 2001 making it a devasting day in America and we did the same thing. We unofficially declared war.

We oppressed the entire Muslim race after that day. Of course they were going to retaliate. This was the land of the free with equal rights for everyone. Or had the Constitution changed for just this race of people?

I'm not saying that the US is entirely responsible for all the terrorist attacks. I'm just saying that maybe there wouldn't be such a problem if we hadn't pushed them so hard in the first place.

Think of it as kindergarten. You're building a sand castle and some freckle-faced kid purposely knocked it over just as you were almost done. Does that mean that you're going to hate all freckle-faced kids for the rest of your life? Are you going to treat all of them differently because one kid was a jerk and destroyed your hard work?

Are we seriously going to presecute all Muslims because a handful decided to act out? Are we really going to start World War III over this?