This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

If you were to ask me what I believe in, I would be able to name a countless numbers of morals and lessons I’ve been taught growing up. From “family comes first” to “treat others the way you want to be treated”. While both those beliefs are practiced religiously by many, mine seems not so popular. I believe that everyone should respect others enough to tell them the truth. I believe that you should be honest enough to people how you feel. We live a world that is so caught up in playing games and deception, that telling the truth is beginning to feel more like a challenge to complete rather than common courtesy. Why is it that people would rather hide behind a lie instead of coming clean about their feelings?

This has always been a belief of mine because I just don’t understand how anyone would be able to live in constant wonder of how things could have turned out if they were honest with one another. For me, I would rather speak my mind rather than not say anything at all. I like knowing how others feel about me as well. I understand that denying your feelings seems like the easy way out, but it will only causes more problems in the long run. Maybe everyone is this way because they are afraid of rejection. But it’s about time we all grow up and stop living in fear of rejection. Start living a full life in spite of this possible rejection. Not everyone is going to like you, but that’s okay. Who knows, they might not be being honest with how they feel about you either. So it’s time everyone starts believing in this as well.

Boys are a perfect example for this not-so-popular belief. In risk of hurting their ego, they constantly send mix signals and play their never ending games. Instead of being straight up about how they feel, they would rather bottle them up forever. All for their beloved ego. Boys, as well as many other people, treat relationships as a game. We're all humans just trying to understand this messy world, so please don’t make things more complicated than they have to be. If you like someone, tell them. If you love hanging out with your friend, please let them know. Hug your parents and tell them you love them. Even cry after a tough loss. Your ego will not be damaged.

Maybe being honest isn’t the easiest thing to do but in the end it’s always the best decision. There could be someone who wants to tell you how they feel, but they’re too scared of rejection. I say, step up and be the first person to speak their mind. Don’t worry about what others think because the truth is far too important to hold back just because what a few people think.