Age Discrimination | Teen Ink

Age Discrimination

Picture this: A group of teenage boys walk into a store. They walk by some candy then by some magazines. Then walk out of the store without making a purchase. Most people would assume that they most likely stole something. The worker in the store might even call the cops on the boys even though they did nothing wrong. Age discrimination happens every day everywhere. People do it without even realizing it. It doesn’t just happen to teenagers, the elderly, people in their 20s, and 50s are also discriminated against.

“You are too young to understand”, adults use this excuses to not tell teenagers things all the time. How do they know that we won’t understand? Teens are actually much more capable of understanding real world situations. Teens do steal. It’s a fact, but the problem is that not all teens steal. Also it’s not only teens who steal. Would you ever expect an 89 year old women to steal over $200,000 in jewelry from a funeral home? (Lee Moren)Well it happened. Teens should be able to go to a store without worrying about being scared that someone is going t call the cops on them for stealing if they didn’t do anything wrong.

People “gawk” at elderly people for everyday things. People say they can’t grocery shop on their own because they are “incapable.” Make fun of them for running a marathon or participating in recreational activities like volleyball, bowling, or swimming. They say that elderly people should stick to what they know like playing bingo, sewing, cooking, or knitting. The fact is you have to give elderly people a little credit. They can do everything that a younger person is able to do.

“Look up from your phone.” Every person in their 20s has heard someone older than them tell them this. They spend too much time online but they aren’t the only ones. There has been studies that showed that people 35+ spend more time on the internet and social media sites than people younger than 35. People say that your twenties is the time to have fun, but then tell them to get a job, get married, have kids and settle down. That’s not what everyone wants to do with their life. It not anyone choice but theirs. Don’t tell them “you are in your twenties, it’s time to get serious about life” it’s their choice.

People who are in their 50s are discriminated against mostly in work places. It is very hard for people 50-60 to get and keep a job. Companies are looking for young people that are quick, and have experience using technology. People in their 50s have no shot at getting jobs if they have to compete with a young “hip” person. People over 50 make up 22% of the unemployed population. It takes an average of 7 months for people over 50 to get another job after being laid off from their job that they have had most of their lives.

Your age should not define who you are or give you a bad reputation. All different ages are discriminated against. Teens steal, 20 year old don’t know what they want, people in their 50s can’t get a job and elderly people are incapable of performing everyday tasks. Next time you find yourself making assumptions about people based on their age stop and think about why you assume that. Can you prove that you assumption is correct. Most likely not.