Social Media: The Newbie In Communication | Teen Ink

Social Media: The Newbie In Communication

April 20, 2016
By maddjenk BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky
maddjenk BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Communication evolves like anything else, over time. It’s constantly changed and altered in order to fit the expanding wants and needs of the human race. Now, instead of hoping that someone might see our flyers or newspaper ads, we can plaster big issues all over the internet and they’re likely to go viral. Technology is usually the culprit when thinking about how communication has evolved. What started as simply making noises to match actions and objects switched to sending a telegraph to sending a direct message via Twitter. The present day communication is astonishing. The ability to contact anyone from virtually anywhere has changed the way we speak, act and address issues. Being able to text your friends that you're on your way to their crib or tell your mom that, “Oh no don’t worry, everythings fine!” with a kissy face emoji when things aren’t her idea of fine describes a lot of social media for some. However, for others, it serves as a window to the outside world where real things are happening and everyone can make a difference. Communicating in long-distance relationships and expressing informational and personal views has been changed for the better with the evolution of  Social Media. Social media has given humans the opportunity to talk in other ways besides face to face conversation or over the phone conferencing. It is a new canvas for creation and ideas that will propel today’s society forward in a talkative direction. 

The immense amount of expression opportunities that social media provides gives shy and introverted people the chance to speak up about their beliefs without having to stand in in front of a threatening audience. This sort of ability has only been available through an anonymous publishing under false names. When social media was created, it opened many new doors to those who have trouble with public speaking and expression—it offered a way around their fears and this brought new ideas and opinions into the world. Isabella M., states how social media gives her a way to, “find a place where I’m eager to talk to others, just as others are eager to talk to me."  People of all ages feel like the only way they can converse how they want is through social media. A window, a portal really, describes what social media has done for those who feel like they cannot express what they feel on a normal basis like their peers around them. For those who have always been skeptical about social media spawning antisocial kids and adults,  Andrea Fisher gives her point of view, “digital technology is mass-producing a society of introverts." Per contra, social media isn't producing introverted kids and adults, but really creating an outlet for introverts to express themselves. People are still having conversations and that is sure not to change. Introverted people have always been there and the skeptics simply are using social media as an excuse for their behavior that they don’t find favorable. The people have always been here, just without the voice that they have now.  Susan Cain elaborates on this in, Is Social Media a Game-Changer for Introverted Kids?, "Social media allows shy/quiet kids to express themselves more clearly without having to transform into a bombastic or extroverted individual.” She understands the effect it can have on kids,”Labels then start disappearing in your class. It allows students to communicate with classmates they do not normally communicate with." The interesting method to speak your mind that we have today is valuable and shouldn’t be thought of as something that diminishes our communication skills, but something that improves them in a way never thought possible.

The ability for long distance relationships to have a remote chance of working out has been greatly increased due to social media. And not just romantic relationships either, family and friends that live a long way away used to only be in contact through phone, mail and email. Just when you thought that your life would be over because your girlfriend is moving to another state, you remember facetime and texting and all the ways that you can make it work. The people you love are never as far away as you think anymore. Now a whole new range of communicating opportunities is presented—social media. Without social media, keeping up with friends and family that don’t live near you would be close to impossible, pewreasearch states, "Roughly two thirds (67%) of social media users say that staying in touch with current friends and family members is a major reason they use social media” they use social media to connect rather than isolate, “about half say they use these sites to reconnect with old friends." The connection social media provides for communication is certainly boosting our skills. The article, How Social Media Sites Can Keep You in Touch With Your Loved Ones expresses how useful social media is in being connected , "Using social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter is a great way to keep your loved ones up to date with your activities." Social media works like a window to those you love and need to talk to. On the other end, some are complaining that where there is much communication online, there is little where it is needed in homes with growing children, at job functions, and in everyday life. Sherry Turkle tells how she is seeing families nowadays, and it isn’t good, "At home, families sit together, texting and reading e-mail.” Families aren’t connecting and neither are employees, “At work executives text during board meetings. We text (and shop and go on Facebook) during classes and when we’re on dates.” Yet this isolation that social media is creating for these people is their doing, not social media's. Social media is for when you want or need to converse with someone for a purpose, or for when your time needs occupying. Not at events that need your attention. Not at family dinners and interviews, certainly not when with children who are looking up to you only to see the backside of a cell phone. 

The number of people, especially teens, who are now more informed on today’s national and world issues is astonishing. Think about it, how many teens do you think watch the news or read the newspaper, some maybe, but certainly not enough. I never thought I would know anything about the presidential election or about Black Lives Matter or any sort of governmental issues going on around the world. And yet, here I am, tweeting about a certain fluffy-haired orange-skinned presidential candidate and expressing myself with the knowledge I have gained through social media as well as the news and school. Social media has created a way to be informed on everything going on from political to economic to tabloid events. Kids and teens are actually aware of their surroundings and are able to come up with their own opinions and ideas that reflect their newfound knowledge. Teens know what is happening with ISIS and how the presidential debates and voting is going because of social media. The U.S. uses the idea that everyone has the right to be informed of their surroundings, meaning that it is everyone's responsibility to know and understand what is happening. Michael Barthel explains that people are becoming more educated and involved in current events, "Those different uses around news features have implications for how Americans learn about the world and their communities,” He says that,”they take part in the democratic process." Implying that more and more Americans are knowledgeable. The new way to receive news is a wonderful way to stay informed regularly and quickly. It also lets people send out news quickly. Whether its for a disease benefit or for a petition or rebellion, social media can get the word out immediately, like Monica Anderson says, "Half of social network site users have shared news stories, images or videos , and nearly as many  (46%) have discussed a news issue or event.” People are expressing public issues that wouldn’t normally be widespread ideas, ”In addition to sharing news on social media, a small number are also covering the news themselves, by posting photos or videos of news events." Being able to do this is something that was simply impossible fifteen years ago. Getting news out that wasn’t as big as something on national news was close to impossible, the only real way being in newspapers or printing out flyers. On the contrary, many debate that social media permits bad situations to take place like terrorist recruiters and gang activities. However, these instances are sadly taking place with or without social media and is really only an issue at this point in time because of the group ISIS making threats and causing destruction. Social media is still the best way to communicate and is increasingly aiding our communication skills through the quick news outlet.

The future is social media because of its efficiency in communication. The canvas that is presented to us nowadays is small but meaningful and brings more introverted people out of hiding. Whether I’m tweeting about how cute that singing cat is or crying laughing about a president meme, communication skills are becoming more powerful and effective because of the amazing exposure that social media provides. I encourage you and everyone around you to start connecting with your relatives and long distance friends, learning about the world around you and to express yourself in anyway you see possible. The world needs more expression, and in the world we live in, expressing and communicating is everything. 

 


The author's comments:

Maddy Jenkins is a sophomore in high school. She enjoys making a difference in the world anyway she can and putting forth the effort needed.