#$0CIALM&D1A | Teen Ink

#$0CIALM&D1A

By peytongilinsky BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky
peytongilinsky BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky

#$0CIALM&D1A

Social media has changed the world as we know it.  I can’t think of anyone that doesn’t at least know what Facebook is. It was developed for the sole reason of communication. Originally it was just for Harvard students but has expanded all over the world and currently has 1.23 billion users. Today there are tons of social media sites including, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and hundreds more. It has created its own world that you can join by just one click. It is by far the fastest and most efficient way to communicate.

Technology and social media are now a part of billions of people’s daily life. Anywhere you go you can find some sort of technology. Whether you’re sending your friend a funny snapchat or starting your own online business, you are using technology. It has been reported that “92% of marketers in 2014 claimed that social media was important for their businesses” (Forbes) In a world filled with technology businesses are using it to their advantage.  Because social media is so widespread it makes a great place to connect and communicate with people no matter where you are. It's by far the fastest way to communicate, even if you're in a different country than the person you are texting with you can still send a text that will appear on their phone in just a few seconds. Even 10 years ago social media was nowhere close to where it is now. It’s changing the world as we know it.

Social media has created a platform for people to connect no matter where they are. I have a friend who lives in England that I can talk to everyday just by sending a simple text and I can also keep in touch with my relatives that live all the way in South Dakota, by just sending them a text message which they can respond to immediately. So, social media is definitely a efficient way for adults to communicate to “70% of adult social networking users visit the sites to connect with friends and family.” (Social Networking pro con) Social media has been spread worldwide… of course there are exceptions to that including places like North Korea, but if social media is permitted by law then people are using it. Sites like Amazon have even made it possible to purchase and send items around the world while sitting on your laptop at your house. I have had many things shipped directly to me from places including China, England, and India. This wouldn’t have been possible without sites like Amazon and Poshmark. On poshmark you are able to communicate with the people you are buying from and selling stuff too. This has made the whole process a lot easier because I know when people are planning to ship and how long it will take.  I have ordered and sent so many clothes around the world.. it’s like my own personal store right there on my phone.

Social media has also developed the world’s biggest dictionary, encyclopedia, thesaurus, etc. It also provides all the information you could possibly want. Just by just typing in one word on google you can get millions of results about that one topic. People have become a lot more educated and informed about things like political debates or just world news. Before social media I never found myself involved in politics, but now I feel like I have a voice in my community about these important issues because social media gives me a platform to.  It has also helped communication by allowing people to even communicate with others that don’t speak their language by typing something into google translate. The internet has made it possible for you to have any information at your fingertips.

Social media and technology have created a whole new world available on our phones, computers, ipads, and other mobile devices. Although some people see social media negatively and think that it is weakening our abilities to communicate, I say the complete opposite has happened because of social media. It has helped the way we communicate and connect with people whether it’s your grandma or your making a business deal online. Now I think most people can’t imagine a world without social media so we should embrace it and use it to our advantage in our everyday lives.

I am a 16 year old sophomore in high school. I use social media almost every day.