Logout Is the Hardest Button to Click | Teen Ink

Logout Is the Hardest Button to Click

By photography731 GOLD, Tirana, Other
photography731 GOLD, Tirana, Other

It's the things we love most, that destroy us.

As our society continues to develop, producing the newest trends and the latest technology, the more time teens spend on their phones and computer. We are becoming addicted to the little screens, refusing to leave them aside for even a second. Each minute, someone takes a picture, sends a text or comments on someone’s post. About 20% of all time teens spend on the internet is spent on Facebook, however Americans spend twice as much (D’Onfro). Social medias is taking over our lives, and we are letting it control us.

Social medias have created a window to many problems. “Among them are isolation, behaviour issues, lack of emotional connection, lack of actual communication including body language, distraction and it also promotes laziness and obesity” (Shukla). Teens are becoming isolated from the rest of the world, they are lacking actual communication which makes them lack emotional connection. Facebook has made talking to someone very easy, however making it difficult to interact with someone because they are not used to face to face communication. By lacking face to face time, and by not interacting with one another, teens are also lacking the use of body language. Body language makes communication effective also expressing emotion. If teens do not use body language, they are lack emotion and they are most likely to have a hard time developing and experiencing it. In the end, teens are left isolated from the rest of the world, crawled into their own bubble in front of a smartphone or a computer, talking to someone on Facebook, someone they might have not even met in person and seen how they act and what they look like. Lacking interaction and emotion can cause behaviour issues like “depression, excessive aggression, abnormal anxiety or even normal anxiety”(Shukla). When a teen has to meet the person they have been talking to on social media, they start experiencing anxiety. This anxiety is created when the teenager has problems with their own image. Facebook has lowered self-confidence and has made it quite difficult for a teenager to interact with people and go out in the world.

Nowadays, teens are very easily distracted from their work, since they spend most of their time on Facebook and social media which also reflects on their performance at school. They spend less time focused on their work because they are constantly prioritizing Facebook rather than their assignments. Social medias can promote laziness which can lead to obesity. Since, so many teens are spending more time sitting on their phones rather than doing activities, they will most likely develop severe health problems and their bodies will become weak and more exposed to various diseases. Some of these health problems include sight problems as Shukla states in her article: “Too much exposure to the computer is bad for the eyes. Teenagers must go out and spend time in outdoor activities and fresh air.”

Facebook has become a major problem in our lives, it is taking over our lives and controlling them. Teens are spending less and less time interacting with one another, creating unfixable problems. We should control ourselves before it is too late. It should not come as a surprise if the next generation will have no real interaction whatsoever.

gremlin BRONZE said...
on Apr. 18 2016 at 9:45 am
gremlin BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family

This is very true, you see people all over now with their phones or other devices in their face. if you are in the right place at the right time you can even see thee people walk into others or even walk into things like benches or poles.