Sexism: The Double Edged Sword | Teen Ink

Sexism: The Double Edged Sword

By _Sean_ BRONZE, Meadville, Pennsylvania
_Sean_ BRONZE, Meadville, Pennsylvania

Now, this is not going to be my best piece nor my worst. I am writing this purely to rant on a topic I find that is completely unneeded; Sexism. When many think about sexism they think "Oh it's when someone is biased against one of the sexes." Be it male or female, it exists everywhere. Some think it is only bad things, but, thats not true. There is a lot of sexism towards the sexes (more noticably female) that tries to get them to be counted on as weak in some way, whether it be about the intelligence of one of the sexes, strength of one, etc etc.

I will use this example, one time I was scrolling down the Youtube comment sections and I saw someone posted a not-so-nice reply on a comment that a young girl (I assume) made. After they posted that they got a response saying "I will teach you how to respect a woman." That was not the full comment but that is the pure essence of it; the main idea if you will.

The reason I found this outrageous is because the reply was based purely off of the gender of the original commenter. I would have been completely fine if the sexist comment had atleast one thing that wasnt related to the gender of the original commenter.

I believe that if you are going to judge someone that you should judge them for their actions, not who they put those actions against. Say little Timmy posted a comment with many spelling errors or anything among those lines. He then got the same commenter saying the same thing, but the chances are that the 3rd commenter would not come insulting the rude replier.

Anecdotes aside, I think you can generally tell that sexism is common everywhere in the world. It goes from "Boys aren't smart" to "Girls arent strong" and even in the workplace; the female workers generally get paid less. Sexism is already widely discussed by the news but it needs more arguments against it if we want it to end. It may get one news report a month if its lucky.

Sexism is quite the same as bullying, it is just a different type of it that deserves its own name. Because of all of my reasons and anecdotes stated above, all of which were true(except little Timmy) I would like to saythat this sensitive topic cannot be left as it currently is; left to hide in the darkness to strike another victim. So, if you do want to help you could start by spreading the word about the plague called sexism and state basic facts. Many people, such as myself, respond to facts much more than opinion.

On that note I will leave you to reminisce on these facts. Remember that it is in the peoples hands to end sexism, one person can not do it alone. If we work together we can do anything.

Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin

"Madness in great ones must not unwatched go" --Claudius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet

Actually, I read the whole article Sean, and literally half of it was about the YouTube anecdote, so I really don't understand why you are up in arms. As far as the workplace bit, that stat that is commonly paraded around (women make less than men on average) doesn't take into account that many women take lower paying jobs than men (such as receptionist or teacher) WILLINGLY because that's what a majority of them want to do or that women are more likely to stay at home and be homemakers WILLINGLY because that's what a majority of them want to do. I'm not saying that your answer is necessarily wrong (there are some occasions where sexism rears its ugly head), but if you are going to implore the reader to observe the facts, you might want to include some actual cold hard facts next time.

_Sean_ BRONZE said...
_Sean_ BRONZE, Meadville, Pennsylvania
Did you not read about the work place? It is quite common that female workers earn less than their male counterparts, I personally feel as if you just read a single paragraph then decided "Oh, this must be based off of YouTube" I do get what you are saying, flame wars are common, yet some of the issues stated are prevalent in certain places.

Uhh, if you're basing your thesis on YouTube commentary, you clearly haven't visited there too often. The YouTube comment section is essentially where humanity goes to die 95% of the time.