Sexism: The Double Edged Sword | Teen Ink

Sexism: The Double Edged Sword

March 16, 2016
By _Sean_ BRONZE, Meadville, Pennsylvania
_Sean_ BRONZE, Meadville, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Now, this is not going to be my best piece nor my worst. I am writing this purely to rant on a topic I find that is completely unneeded; Sexism. When many think about sexism they think "Oh it's when someone is biased against one of the sexes." Be it male or female, it exists everywhere. Some think it is only bad things, but, thats not true. There is a lot of sexism towards the sexes (more noticably female) that tries to get them to be counted on as weak in some way, whether it be about the intelligence of one of the sexes, strength of one, etc etc.

 

I will use this example, one time I was scrolling down the Youtube comment sections and I saw someone posted a not-so-nice reply on a comment that a young girl (I assume) made. After they posted that they got a response saying "I will teach you how to respect a woman." That was not the full comment but that is the pure essence of it; the main idea if you will.

 

The reason I found this outrageous is because the reply was based purely off of the gender of the original commenter. I would have been completely fine if the sexist comment had atleast one thing that wasnt related to the gender of the original commenter.

 

I believe that if you are going to judge someone that you should judge them for their actions, not who they put those actions against. Say little Timmy posted a comment with many spelling errors or anything among those lines. He then got the same commenter saying the same thing, but the chances are that the 3rd commenter would not come insulting the rude replier.

 

Anecdotes aside, I think you can generally tell that sexism is common everywhere in the world. It goes from "Boys aren't smart" to "Girls arent strong" and even in the workplace; the female workers generally get paid less. Sexism is already widely discussed by the news but it needs more arguments against it if we want it to end. It may get one news report a month if its lucky.

 

Sexism is quite the same as bullying, it is just a different type of it that deserves its own name. Because of all of my reasons and anecdotes stated above, all of which were true(except little Timmy) I would like to saythat this sensitive topic cannot be left as it currently is; left to hide in the darkness to strike another victim. So, if you do want to help you could start by spreading the word about the plague called sexism and state basic facts. Many people, such as myself, respond to facts much more than opinion.

 

On that note I will leave you to reminisce on these facts. Remember that it is in the peoples hands to end sexism, one person can not do it alone. If we work together we can do anything.