Social Classes | Teen Ink

Social Classes

January 27, 2016
By Daniela_P BRONZE, Austin, Texas
Daniela_P BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What has this generation come to, we have surrounded ourselves with money. We have made our own little world that revolves around money. What you don't know is that you slowly fall into a “social class” all based on how much money you have.

There are three main classes which consist of a high class, middle class, lower class. To be part of the “high” class you have to be superior and of a first rate which basically means you have to earn a lot of money. A “middle” class person is considered to be a person who makes enough money to have a decent house and has a decent job they don't earn/have as much money as a high class person does but has more than a lower class. A “lower” class person is someone who has a low status and they are mainly workers who are underpaid or hardly paid at all.

What is the most expensive thing in a household?
The things that are normally the highest priced in a house are electricity,water, A.C bills and jewelry. I asked 3 classmates to tell me what the most expensive things in their house were and this is what I got. My first friend said that the most expensive thing in her house would most likely be her marble counters that in total she estimates 140,000 dollars were spent on. My second friend said that she thought her television was the most expensive thing in her house which was bought on sale for about 200 dollars. My third friend said that her A.C bills were the most expensive thing paid in her house.

I had to ask a question that really couldn't be avoided in a average teens life which is how much do they normally spend when they go shopping and this is that they said. My first friend said that on a monthly basis she spent about 300 dollars, which means that in a year she spends 3,600 on clothes. My second friend said that in a month she spends about 34 dollars on clothes, which means that in a year she spends 408 dollars on clothes. Which is 3,192 less dollars than my first friend does. Lastly my third friend spends about 70 dollars a month, which means she spends 840 dollars a year on clothes. Together my second AND third friend makes 1,248 which is still not even close to what my first friend spends on close in a year.

Would they change anything on the way they spend their money?
My last question was if they would change anything about how they spend their money or how they would use it differently, and normally the things most people say is that they would want to earn more money which everyone does but it's not always possible. My first friend said that she wouldn't change anything about her life because she thinks she is lucky enough to have it and that she is grateful for it because she realizes that not everyone can do all these things.


My second friend said that she would want to change how they spend their money because she believes that some things are more important than others. My third friend said that she wasn't living a horrible life and that she was okay with how much money her parents made so that she wouldn't change anything.

My point in this whole essay was that I love all my friends and that yes they all come from different backgrounds and yes they all don't make the same amount of money or they don't all get what they want but that they are three amazing friends that I wouldn't change for anything, because what's more important is what's in them not in their wallet.