Freedom | Teen Ink

Freedom

December 17, 2015
By JSundae SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
JSundae SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Freedom is something we in the U.S. take for granted almost everyday. It is nice for people to spread their opinion on all sorts of things such as how we are going about as a country which may open people's mind on which may be the better thing to do in this day and age. Being in America as well as other highly developed nations is a privilege to what we can and can't do. Other countries may have a dictator or an all-powerful leader that controls every part of your lives. People aren't allowed to speak about how they feel on the internet or in public if it has any negative feelings attached to it. People are arrested and killed for saying something different from what their country wants them to say or think. A common item like a newspaper has to be overwatched by the government to see if they are bashing it or not. This may not seem right to people and they are right. People shouldn't be limited to the words they speak because others can't take criticism or differing opinions to theirs. This is kind of ironic since I'm writing my opinion on how much freedom one should have and that could get me in serious trouble. I could say it's a shame but my words aren't even in comparison to the people who have to suffer through something think that. The most common dictatorship that comes to everyone's mind is probably North Korea. Also known as the Hermit Kingdom, its closed borders and seclusion from the world makes it hard to find out what's really going on in there but, what we do know is that there is an extreme dictatorship with high focus on military power where people are brain washed to stay loyal to their country even though everything they are doing is ancient history. Trying to go to war and gain more land. Not very contemporary with today's standards. Although, this argument has been one-sided where anyone can agree that any standard of free thinking should be allowed, how about having too much freedom? What would this be like? Most likely a chaotic world where no rules are applied. Even if they are, people break them constantly and nothing can be done about it. People shouldn't be able to go around and do whatever they please. There should be a limit to power and that is where government comes in. Without government and rules to control everyone, a state of absolute freedom is an absolutely horrible idea. You can never tell what people are thinking so trying to control a malicious action with no power will be a little hard. It's life and death, everyone for themselves and honestly, that's not the type of life we should live. I may not like certain things in politics today but I am proud to acknowledge how we can come together as a nation and help each other out as one.