Orcas Were Placed in Oceans, and Should Stay There | Teen Ink

Orcas Were Placed in Oceans, and Should Stay There

By TylerCrane BRONZE, Sacramento, California
TylerCrane BRONZE, Sacramento, California

In recent years, there has been speculation as to whether or not orcas should still be held in captivity, such as marine parks or exhibits. I believe that even though human beings are the dominant species on this earth, that does not necessarily mean that we can simply do as we like with our neighboring species. I think that we should not meddle with what nature has intended. If an animal was put in the vast and mighty oceans, then it was meant to stay there.

Throughout my research, I have found several benefits and drawbacks to keeping orcas in captivity. According to SeaWorld’s website, the animals are very well taken care of, and have significantly contributed to the research of orcas in captivity. SeaWorld works with the “world’s foremost professional zoological organizations,” so those working with the animals are indeed masters of their craft (SeaWorldCares.com). They have also been able to research these marvelous animals due to the “controlled setting for science that is impossible to replicate in the wild” (SeaWorldCares.com). In addition, SeaWorld “self-funds the largest marine animal rescue and rehabilitation program on the planet, with 24,000 successful animal rescues ranging from sea turtles to dolphins to pinnipeds to birds and more” (McKinney Para. 7). Although, this is only SeaWorld, and there are several other marine parks that do not live up to the high standard SeaWorld claims to hold for their animals.

I have also found several drawbacks to keeping orcas in captivity across the world. During a hunt for wild killer whales over a span of 15 years, at least 275 whales were captured, 55 went to aquariums (while the others presumably went to other forms of captivity that provided revenue for those showcasing them), and at least twelve killer whales died while being captured. Several of the ones captured died months after being in captivity, or at least died prematurely (SeaWorldofHurt.com). Also, 100% of all male orcas in captivity have a collapsed dorsal fin due to the fact that they are above the surface most of the time (US.whales.org). Whales that usually swim hundreds of miles in the ocean that are in captivity swim in tanks as small as 24 feet by 24 feet, and 6 feet deep (“Marine Parks”). It seems as though any orcas living in captivity are locked up and unhealthy. The circumstances they are placed in are very unnatural and exponentially artificial.

There are also sources that claim that the whales in captivity have not contributed any significant research findings to science. SeaWorld may claim that their parks establish an opportunity for “controlled science to be conducted on [the orcas] behalf” (Shiffman para. 1), but what little they have actually contributed is fairly close to none. After researching all files of “research” done by SeaWorld, a marine biologist named Ingrid Visser from New Zealand’s Orca Research Trust, found that some were duplicate files, some were conducted by under-qualified employees, and still others were manipulated to give orcas a larger role in the research than was plausible (Shiffman para. 4). The scientific community could have found any information needed without the help of captive whales and the companies that house them. Marine parks and exhibits have made millions, but it really only benefits a select group of people. Overall, I find keeping whales in captivity no major benefit to anyone outside of the people that own the exhibits.

I personally do not believe in capturing such large and beautiful animals such as orcas and using them as entertainment shows for money. All other animal species may be less than human beings, but I find it to be inhumane to break up orca families in the wild and put them in boxes full of water to perform. These animals have become slaves, and to have any form of slavery in the U.S. seems to be very hypocritical of our policies. All of the orcas that are still in marine parks and exhibits should be retired to sea pens, where they can live peacefully and naturally without human interference. Several marine parks may lose a significant amount of money, but we as human beings need to stop earning a profit from wrong and unethical practices. These orcas deserve to live in their natural habitat, or at least in sea pens since we do not know how well some captive orcas will survive on their own. There are too many drawbacks to keeping orcas in giant marine parks for shows across the world, so we must reform our policies and free the orcas from their life of slavery and dependence.   

Works Cited
“Marine Parks.” icanimals.org. Last Chance for Animals, n.d. Web. 29 October 2015.
McKinney, Erin. “Why Condemning SeaWorld is a Bad Idea.” AwesomeOcean.com. Awesome Ocean, 4 December 2014. Web. 29 October 2015.
SeaWorldCares.com. SeaWorld, n.d. Web. 23 September 2015.
SeaWorldofHurt.com. PETA, n.d. Web. 23 September 2015.
Shiffman, David. “SeaWorld Exaggerated Its Research Record.” Slate.com. Slate, n.d. Web. 1  October 2015.
US.whales.org. WDC, n.d. Web. 26 September 2015.

This is an Op-Ed piece I wrote for my High School English course. A requirement of the assignment was to get my work published, and I thought Teen Ink would be a good place to publish my work.