What The American Flag Means To Me | Teen Ink

What The American Flag Means To Me

By Oldinep GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Oldinep GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Once upon a time, there was a land called “America.” This land had a red, white, and blue striped flag that represented a new country with 50 stars, representing the 50 states that made up the land. The American flag stood for unity, family, and sacrifice.

All of a sudden, a tornado huffed and puffed and spit out people of different cultures, religions, and traditions. The citizens may have been different from each other, but they went the same schools, same churches, and same places to interact with each other. Just then, the American flag flew above them representing unity. In moment or any place can unify people into one united nation called America.

After a long, hard day, the citizens ran home to their families like herds a buffalo running away from their predators. The citizens loved their family so much because even if they don’t think so, their families know them better than they know themselves.  A family is like a teddy bear. It’s was there for you when you were having the worst or best day. The American flag reminds the citizens of this every day, and at that moment, the American flag rose over the people.

As the citizens woke up the next morning, they said goodbye to one of their family members. You see, one family member was going to a place full of blood, tears, and guns. This family member was now a soldier. The American flag floated over each soldier representing sacrifice because the soldiers sacrificed their lives for America.

As the sun came up the next day, the citizens smiled. They smiled at their flag representing unity, family, and sacrifice. They smiled about how America changed considering all the past history between each other.  They were proud to be an American, and they all lived happily ever after. The end. 

What? You're wondering about  what happened in the past? American history? Well that’s another story. The American flag will always be my biggest inspiration, and I’m glad we have a flag the symbolizes our country so much.

My piece is like a story that grabs your atttention.