American Flag | Teen Ink

American Flag

By 6minor GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
6minor GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

America has steadily evolved to fit the needs of each generation. However, one symbol of power that has stood prominent in each generation is the American flag. When the flag was created by our Founding Fathers, it represented freedom from a tyrannical England ruler, the spiritual and patriotic ideals of the people, and liberty and justice in all areas of government. It also represented protection and the civil freedoms given to the people from their government. These ideals have remained relevant and are carried in the hearts of each American. And new values have attached onto this American symbol throughout the generations.

As years have passed, America evolved into a more accepting, tolerant, peaceful land, proactively seeking equality. Some new rights that were established in the U.S., such as the legalization of gay marriage, medicinal marijuana in some states, and affirmative action -- can’t be found in other countries. The flag has come to be more than a place to bare arms and pay taxes -- it is an emblem of unity, individuality, progress, respect and community.

This country is filled with every type of person: color, gender, sexuality and religious affiliation -- and we still come together to breakthrough in a new era of a new and better America.

Changes in America have not come easily. Riots, protests, campaigns and a continual fight for what our generation believes in has prevailed in changing our country. As Americans, we look to the flag and know that if we stand up for what we believe in, anything is possible.

The American flag is progress...And through these years of progression, Americans can now look at the flag and see a land where they are free to be themselves, free to chose the path of their life and free to stand up for what they truly believe in.