Flag Stands Tall | Teen Ink

Flag Stands Tall

By 7gundrum GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
7gundrum GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

The American dream assures if you work hard and chase your dreams, success will come, so sure as the flag mounts at the forefront of our president's home.

The banner of freedom and prosperity reigns in every classroom from New York to California.  Mounted with honor at every library and post office. It stands near porches and welcome mats, cordially greeting guests.
However, when the values and core concepts derived from the American dream are no longer obtained, does the flag’s influence alter?

When black people do not feel protected by police officers, but rather fearful of them, it is a glimpse of a potentially corrupt nation. Our nation prides itself in the barriers we have broken down, but has Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream really come true? The flag stands tall in cities like Compton and Detroit. So even when life seems unjust, it’s a symbol of hope for a better tomorrow.

The town I live in has been called, “The Safest City in the United states.” However thirty minutes away, Milwaukee is one of the most dangerous. With such horrendous crimes and conflict, are all American’s ensured an environment where they can thrive? And still, the flag stands tall from Hartland to Milwaukee, so although safety fluctuates, the flag reassures that equal chances will come.

When women are paid only 79% of what men are paid for the same job, it practically eradicates Alice Paul’s efforts. So although women can vote and receive an education, gender still impacts equality. Where is the opportunity when two genders clock in and clock out, but their paycheck differs? The flag stands tall near hospitals and law firms, as people live out their passions, even though they’re unable to achieve the same level of success.

The flag symbolizes the American Dream. It’s a reflection of the times America rose above. The flag’s meaning holds true, even when people do not take that meaning to heart. The flag represents equal chances, rewards for hard work, and opportunities to succeed. And it will still stand tall, even if Americans cannot stand together.

The prompt was: What does the American flag stand for?

Delaney.Davis BRONZE, Grapevine, Texas
Great article! I completely agree